Visual Inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a surveyors repport on one of my properties I have been advised to get an electrician to do a visual inspection. How reliable is this and is there an official guideline as to what a visual inspection of a property is supposed to cover?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A periodic inspection report is a defined document in the wiring regs, and covers a lot more than a visual inspection, you should be getting one of these at every change of tenant in every property.

Thanks Dell

I think you have misunderstood.

I have one other property and do get PIRs done at regular intervals as required. This is not arequest for a PIR. I am purchasing a property and it is a request by a surveyor to have the electrics checked. I have been advised that a 'visual inspection' will determine the general standard and safety of the installation. A full PIR will be done later after re-furb and before tenants take residence.
At the moment this is a sale between vendor and seller.

you could do a visual inspection yourself- look there's a socket!

a pir is a lot better. (there is actually testing done)

Sponsored Links
Yaeh thanks for that Bald..... very helpful.........!!!!

I am trying to obtain clarification of what an electrician has told me constitute a visual inspection. He has basically said
Take of the front of teh fuse box and check the general standard of wiring.
Check for the presence of bonding cables and mains earthing cables
Random check of switches and sockets to ensure standard of cabling is the same as the fuse box and no 'duping' or 'smoke screens' have been administered.
Check that the general installation appears to be safe i.e. there are no live cables hang9ing loose from light fittings etc.

Any other comments or observations are welcome.

a visual inspection will NOT do what you state, that is a a PIR.
Visual = NO tools.

There are no procedures in the wiring regs (guidance note 3) regarding visual inspections as they have been dreamt up by the NICIEC to keep people who can't see themselves spending £120- £180 on a pir.

Gas inspection = £40 - £60 less than an hour usually.

PIR usually 3-5 hours, written report with results.

If the surveyor notices something iffy about the electrics then you should get a PIR.
The last time I had this the lights were wired in orange lawn mower flex in the loft :eek:

Just to echo what the others have said, all a visual inspection with tell you is

"Seems alright mate, but without doing a full PIR you can't be sure of anything"

or

"Looks a bit iffy mate, I definatly recommend you have a full PIR done, then we can go from there"

or

"Holy ****, its a wonder it hasn't burnt down mate, looks like a full rewire"

Nothing a knowledgeable friend couldn't tell you :)

The last job I saw two core lawnmower flex was a string of about 30 lights around a garden, internal light fittings used, choc block connectors and ins tape! 10a mcb, and no rcd. customer very miffed when I cut all the cables too short to allow reconnection!!

cozycats said:
customer very miffed when I cut all the cables too short to allow reconnection!!

I'd be very careful there, quite shakey ground legally, far better to inform the customer of the dangers, have him sign to say he has understood and don't switch the breaker back on. That way you have excerised your duty of care to the customer, but haven't commited criminal damage.

Sorry Desie, but full pir is the only report I'd put my name to, must have verifiable facts observed and tested, and according to 7671.
I would also advise against cutting a customers wiring unless it really was a death trap, just use the associated cat No on the pir and advise accordingly.

If it helps, Desie, I believe there is some worth in a visual, especially in the situation you describe. (That is, buying a property)

Whilst no actual tests will be carried out, an electrician can tell a lot from looking. (How many sparks carry out a full PIR before quoting for a rewire?) For instance:

Approximate age
Presence of additions/modifications
Serviceability of accessories (sockets, switches, etc)
Adequacy of protective measures - earthing, bonding, CPCs etc
General non-compliances, obvious to a spark but not to a surveyor.

In fact your description of a visual inspection is very much in line with what I would expect.

By the way, if you do let out the property you would be foolish to do so without full and satisfactory test results. But that's further down the line.

A lot of electricians grumble about 'nothing less than a full PIR will do' but I disagree. In the future I believe that visual inspections will become very popular as additional information for buyers. As some have found out, most punters don't want to fork over the cost of a PIR, especially if it comes back 'unsatisfactory'.

And as a spark, why not put your name to a visual report? After all you are still employing your expertise and the limitations of the inspection should be clearly stated. So, on principle you'd prefer to get no inspection work at all? Or would you rather supply a perfectly reasonable market demand?

Because one thing's for sure, if experienced electricians refuse to do less than full PIRs, yet surveyors recommend visual-only inspections, you can bet your life that less-qualified people will quickly fill the demand. Who wins then?

Thanks Dingbat very helpful

I have been quoted £25 for the visual via my local estate agent and £40 direct from a sparky. Sounds reasonale to me at £25. Is this about right?

Desie said:

I have been quoted £25 for the visual via my local estate agent and £40 direct from a sparky. Sounds reasonale to me at £25. Is this about right?

I would run with the 40 quid from a sparks - don't forget the estate agent is trying to sell the house so it may be in their interest to carry out the visual in the dark!

Pensdown said:
I would run with the 40 quid from a sparks - don't forget the estate agent is trying to sell the house so it may be in their interest to carry out the visual in the dark!

Ah, the report that most often says nothing appears to be wrong, or very occasionly you get a charred clipboard as he tries to look in the CU cupboard of a very unsafe installation in the dark... :LOL:

Desie said:

Is a visit to the premises included? :LOL:

Jaymack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back