Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large floor area in the loft, but the height is only 6 feet 1 inch. Is it possible to make a decent conversion. Can the roof be altered?

Sponsored Links
dave60 wrote:
We have a large floor area in the loft, but the height is only 6 feet 1 inch. Is it possible to make a decent conversion. Can the roof be altered?

dave60 wrote:

???????????????????

Confused? It's simple really. We want to convert the loft. This is obviously expensive and unfortuately the peak of out loft gives only about 6'1 feet height, I am 6'3, thefore a problem. I am sure that I have. The loft conversion we are looking into is one that goes from where the back half of the roof is in affect lifted up, eg from / to /``| if that makes any sense, can the height of the new half of the roof be higher than the peak of the old roof?.
See simple really!

Sponsored Links
Difficult one this, I've just finished a loft conversion the dormer roof is normally lower than your existing ridge as a steel is placed under the ridge to support it and the timbers for the dormer come off it, not only that but your floor level will be raised as well, as 8 x 2 joists need to go in along side the existng which are probably 4 x 2. you must have a very low pitch on your roof the height of my ceilings are 7'8".

Dave

One solution is to lower the ceilings of the room or rooms below, if you have high ceilings it's no problem (apart from the work, but it's not complex, just a new ceiling and floor strengthening the loft can be done at the same time.

Hi Dave
Just come across your post when doing a search. Did you ever get your loft done?
We're in Greater London, my husband is 6' and we think the finished headroom would be approx 7' if we put steels into the floor joists (rather than under) and into the ridge.
We're in a quandary :confused: because we need a dormer conv if the headroom will be sufficient for hubby, but we don't want to drop the ceilings (or raise the roof ridge).
Any other ideas/comments anyone, please?
Regards

Hi Dave
Just come across your post when doing a search. Did you ever get your loft done?
We're in Greater London, my husband is 6' and we think the finished headroom would be approx 7' if we put steels into the floor joists (rather than under) and into the ridge.
We're in a quandary :confused: because we need a dormer conv if the headroom will be sufficient for hubby, but we don't want to drop the ceilings (or raise the roof ridge).
Any other ideas/comments anyone, please?
Regards

What is the height from the top of the ceiling joists to the roof ridge inside and approx roof span (eg: floor level) ?

Hi masona

I measured the height as 2.15m. Not sure what the roof span is, but if it's the width (left to right) then it's approx 5m. The depth of the house (front to back) is approx 6.7m.

Regards

The roof Hight can only be raised above the exsisting roofline by applying to the local planning office.

Its not common, but it can be done if they approve the planning application. Have a chat with them, they are happy to give advice.

We were hoping to do the LC under permitted development, as we'll be planning a rear extension in the near future. Also, our road has a slight gradient, and so we'd have to convince our next door neighbour to raise their ridge as well, otherwise there'd be no chance of getting planning permission. (Not sure how we'd convince them to spend £000s on a conversion they may not need/want, though!)

The building regulations state that there must be at least 2 metres headroom on the stairs giving access to your new living space.If you're having steel beam then you will need a stress load calulation, if not then 9" x 3" joists is the most common height, that would give you approx 1.890m headroom, but they are ways round it, best to pop down to your local planning as salem2000 prevoius post.

Many thanks guys (gals?)

Spoke to Building Control who said the minimum head clearance in certain circumstances could be as low as 1.9m. One of the builders we had didn't think it would be a problem to achieve this, and one of the 'one stop loft shops' thought it was just achievable (at an extra cost of £7k). We're left wondering whether hubby will be comfortable with a low ceiling, as we can't really envisage what it'll be like actually living with one.

Is there anyone who's had experience of low-ceiling lofts, or who could recommend any architects/builders (West/Greater London) who have done a good job with low ceilings?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back