Laguna - Draining battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
basically if I were to fully charge my battery and didn't drive my car for 72 hours the battery will be dead. I drive it to work Mon to Fri and leave it standing over the weekend and when I return to it on the Monday ti struggles to start!

I have disconnected all the little lamps on the inside and double check that everything else is switched off when I leave it on Fri. Could it be the alarm/immobiliser draining it? what can I look for?

Thanking you in advance!

Sponsored Links
It could be a failing battery. You could disconnect it for 72 hours and then see it it's held it's charge.

Or it could be a fault in the alarm system such that it takes too much current.

After reading your misplaced post I would suggest you check the alternator charge rate.should be no more than 13.5 to 14 volts @ about 3000rpm.If you are going through batteries like you said you must be over charging.

;)

Hi there,
having put my battery back into the car this morning after a full charge, I took the car to a local garage who checked the alternator and he said that it's fine!

Can I diconnect the immobiliser/alarm myself to see if that does the trick? How can I do it? Garage job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the alternator may also be discharging the battery,the garage probably only checked to see if it was charging,you need to get somebody capable of using an electrical multimeter and checking the current draw from the battery when parked up

if its a factory fitted immobiliser, it would be fairly hard for you to remove this as its in amoungst the main wiring looms, i dnt even think there is fuse for it, check under the steering wheel thoguth and in the engine bay.

also have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving that over the wekeend and then reconnecting it, if its still flat then its a battery prob. Lucas (if there is one nr you) will b able to check ur alternator properly for you. I think halfords (if not any car battery supplier) should/will do a free battery check, they will drop test the battery to see if the cells are all ok

how old is the battery?

Back