tiling on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long would it take for plaster to dry out enough for tiling?Plastering was finished yesterday(friday)
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the plaster is a skim finish on board I would suggest 48hrs - If it's skim on top of a bonded wall (ie old tiles taken off and coat of bonding applied to generally make good, with skim finish applied afterwards) personally I would say 24hrs. If it's just a bonded wall made good for re-tiling I would be happy to tile same day most of the time.

However, I'm a kitchen/bathroom fitter that does a bit of tiling when it's nice and easy, if it's a complex job I pass it on to my tiling subby.

If you're not in a rush, best wait for a pro to shoot me down in flames and give you an expert opinion! :LOL:

It'll say on the back of the tub/bag of adhesive. Usually it says 2 - 4 weeks, but personally, I'd wait until it looks dry (light in colour), then leave it a couple of days extra and start tiling.

I've never seen a pro tiler wait more than 24 hours for a skim coat. 4 weeks is just plain ridiculous!

Sponsored Links
Well the person who the bathroom belonged to didnt want to wait and has had it tiled already (6 days later) also the tiler did 8 sq meters in 4 hours :eek: tiles were about 8x4 inches,that's tiled and grouted,I thought this was a bit fast also that you were supposed to wait at least 24 hours before grouting up. :confused:
Apparently he was a young lad about 19.
My mate is doing the plumbing there today and said he will let me know the standard of the work. ;)
Also the tiler said it was fine to drill into them the next day,not sure if he used rapid set adhesive or not.

gcol said:
It'll say on the back of the tub/bag of adhesive. Usually it says 2 - 4 weeks, but personally, I'd wait until it looks dry (light in colour), then leave it a couple of days extra and start tiling.
listen to gcol he gives very good advice

lancenotalot said:
Well the person who the bathroom belonged to didnt want to wait and has had it tiled already (6 days later) also the tiler did 8 sq meters in 4 hours :eek: tiles were about 8x4 inches,that's tiled and grouted,I thought this was a bit fast also that you were supposed to wait at least 24 hours before grouting up. :confused:
Apparently he was a young lad about 19.
My mate is doing the plumbing there today and said he will let me know the standard of the work. ;)
Also the tiler said it was fine to drill into them the next day,not sure if he used rapid set adhesive or not.
You didn't say whether it was just a skim coat or bonding and skim.
Grouting soon after tiling is ok if you used a fast-setting powdered adhesive. Grouting soon after using tub adhesive is a no no - the adhesive wouldn't have gone off properly and I'd be worryied about the tiles moving when removing the spacers. (Or did he leave the spacers in? :rolleyes:) The grout would also slow down the setting of the adhesive.
Drilling next day is generally fine with either powdered or tub adhesive, but if you've grouted soon after using tub adhesive then, as I say, the adhesive will take longer to go off and you'd be better leaving it a bit longer before drilling.

It was a bonding and skim coat,my mate the plumber said its looks a good job,I thought it just seemed a fast time,what sort of time do you guys do a sqm in?I know it depends on cuts and tile sizes,but say 6"x6" tiles with just end cuts into corners using tub adhesive (not including grouting) :)

me again guys i need to cut out a 125mm hole in & another 45mm just above to take a shower thermo control & a diverter what is the best & most cost efective way to do it, i live in bexleyheath & if there is a place where i can take the tiles to be cut i would be grateful for any info & advise

me again guys i need to cut out a 125mm hole in & another 45mm just above to take a shower thermo control & a diverter what is the best & most cost efective way to do it, i live in bexleyheath & if there is a place where i can take the tiles to be cut i would be grateful for any info & advise
snowsfield mate, follow the forum rules or your gonna get blasted; if you have questions, post your own new topic, don’t hijack others & certainly not when they are 20 months old. :LOL:

Anyway for your mixer valve holes; you may well be able to get the holes cut locally I’ve no idea but you will pay through the nose & they are quiet easy to cut yourself. You can use diamond hole cutters but at that size I would always cut mine by hand. Mark the hole you want to cut, drill one small hole through the tile on the edge of the larger hole & use a hand held, round diamond saw blade cut out the larger holes. It takes a little care & patience but you should be able to cut both holes in just a few minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back