porcelain tiles onto new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - I`m about to tile my bathroom walls with 500 x 300 porcelain tiles . the room has just been plastered . Do I need to prime the walls before tiling or prep it in any way . Part of the walls will make up a shower cubicle .
Also , there seems to be some debate on how long to leave new plaster - some say 4 weeks others say when it looks dry - it is dry - any thoughts !
Thanks Col .

Sponsored Links
with skimming walls you will only get 20kg per m2!! plasterers need educated.."some"..not all.. ;) check weight of your tiles.

prime walls with either apd or sbr instructions on the tub, as for plaster drying out remember now you have had walls skimmed you are fixing tiles to the skimm not the wall.

shower area will want to be tanked.

as for plaster drying out remember now you have had walls skimmed you are fixing tiles to the skimm not the wall.[/quote said:
how long do you reckon , then ?

as for plaster drying out remember now you have had walls skimmed you are fixing tiles to the skimm not the wall.[/QUOTE said:
how long do you reckon , then ?

as long as possible mate,as per above quote?it will be dry on the outside, how thick a skimm was put on? when was it skimmed. have you checked weight off your tiles?

Sponsored Links
The skim`s about 3 to 4 mm . done two days ago - most looks dry now
I think I`m just about o.k. with the tile weight - their 18kg/sq m

Also , is tanking generally accepted as the norm in this situation . again , their seems to be some debate . Some say its only needed in wet rooms . I dont mind doing it if its necessary , though as I dont want any disasters :)

i would leave it a minimum of 4 weeks, but as davie (tictic) says, check ya weight before commencing to tile, the tiles you are using are quite big and heavy, so just remember, weight of tiles,adhesive and of course your grout.I know the rule of thumb is 20-22 kg per m2, personally i would not go over 17m2. But if ya do you will be at the limit mate
AQnd as for the tanking i would recommend it, you dont want to spend a fortune on your tiles and adhesive, only to have problems with water ingress at a later date

1 question mate, whats the subtrate, you say skimmed but dont say if its boarded,rendered or what

your getting quicker at the typing than me jimmy.. :LOL:

colin wait till at least 2/3 week into january.again as jc has said mate. ;)
best of.

1 question mate, whats the subtrate, you say skimmed but dont say if its boarded,rendered or what

plasterboarded onto the brickwork , then skimmed
- general concencuss seems to be - it shouldnt have been skimmed where I`m tiling - but , short of getting the guy back in , I think I`ll have to make the best of it - thats why I want to make sure I get everything right from now on :)

plasterboarded onto the brickwork , then skimmed
If it’s just a skim over PB you’ll be OK to tile after 14 days; full base coat & skim on blocks requires 4 weeks minimum.
general concencuss seems to be - it shouldnt have been skimmed where I`m tiling - but , short of getting the guy back in , I think I`ll have to make the best of it - thats why I want to make sure I get everything right from now on :)
Unfortunately, he wouldn’t be able to do much about it now anyway. A decent spread would know & advise accordingly but most "skimmers" are exactly that, they won’t have a clue about weight restrictions or any others for that matter & many wont give a stuff anyway; they will just do whatever is asked.

You'll probably not find an awful lot of Tilers that could Quote the weight limits for every single substrate, plasterers knowing anything about weight limits- very unlikely.

I would tile it a good few days after dry (skim has lightened) but I would pop my moisture detector on first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back