Help with loft hatch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to make my loft hatch wider as it is barely biug enough to get through. The red dotted line shows where i would like the hatch size to be if possible. The beams going from left to right i think are 6x3. Can anyone give me some avice on the best way to go about doing this?

Shot at 2007-07-18

Sponsored Links
Is your roof gang nailed trusses?

gussetw.jpg

No it is not like that. The roof has like a H in 2 place's holding the hipped roof.( if that makes any sense).

Sponsored Links
If it is a traditional roof, not gang nail roof trusses, the you can make the hatch larger by cutting back and inserting trimmers.
This site http://www.loftshop.co.uk/lofty_ideas2.asp might give you some ideas on how to go about it.

Support the trimmers using joist hangers like these
building5.jpg

lofthatchpd0.gif

I'm assuming where the double ceiling joists is resting on the bearing wall? The trimmer is the joist across the ceiling joists that you're going to put in, best to make a double joist trimmer on both side unless one of them is resting on the wall

Still confused with this. The joists that run along side each other that i need to cut are not on a wall. :confused:

Can you do a photo, on your drawing the joist in opposite direction, are they ceiling binder, another word the whole length?

I will check this later today when i get a spare 5 mins and will try and get some photo's.

The rafters are 3x2 and the beam going across is 4x2. I have managed to take the following pics if they are not clear then let me know and i will try and explain which is which part in relation to the hatch..

I can part of the roof/ceiling structure in your pictures.

Could you pile some more old cr*p and layers of insulation over the remaining bits of wood so that we can be completely mystified?

If you're short of microwave ovens to put up there I have one that I'm happy to donate.

Softus said:
If you're short of microwave ovens to put up there I have one that I'm happy to donate.
Extend your roof ;)

wombats, can you update the drawing where the walls positioning is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back