Cutting a new loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum is starting to find it difficult to get into the loft as the hatch is very small, is a push up and move one and there are no fixed ladders as the hatch is too close to the external wall. So, I'm looking at cutting a new hole, installing a new loft hatch with ladders. New hatch will be in the hall, which will give better access.

My question is, so long as I don't cut through the rafters and install new studs to box in the hole, are there likely to be any stuctual isues?

The loft has rafters running front to rear (I forget the dimensions but wide enough to fit a hatch & ladder) and a central supporting beam down the centre (diagram for reference). I propose to cut the new hatch to one side of the central beam, so that when closed, the ladders will have the necessary clearance.

I can't see any issues if no rafters are cut, as the space being used is only plasterboard at present and the front and rear of the hatch will be strenghened with studs.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Many thanks,

Phil

Sponsored Links
I can't see any issues but I'm not an expert. I've recently fitted a new hatch like this: http://www.loftandfound.co.uk/folding.html and it's great. The link is a random google one to show the style, can't vouch for that supplier. It's loads easier to use than my old one as the ladder is presented at arm height. Once erect it has wide flat treads.

No problem there, just double the joists on the long length, this will give you some idea. If you want to put the loft trap in the centre of hall/room then you may have to cut the ceiling joists BUT before you do get back to us first with a photo or drawing etc because if it's gang nailed roof type you cannot cut any timber.

crawlspace.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back