another loft hatch :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies for another loft hatch thread but can't work out exactly what to with mine from the previous. Below are photos from my loft, from below and above.

RrbCyaE.jpg

As you can see the current loft hatch is pretty small and have to access with the ladder against the banister as the wall on the far right of the pic prevents access this way.

I want the loft hatch moved so that it's more like this

rGuce2h.jpg

Below is a pic of the hatch area from above

OgzOViM.jpg

and here is a picture, where green are the current beams, the black square is the current hatch, the red line is a bigger beam over the top of the others, and the red dashed box is the position of the desired hatch.

YmjEDLD.jpg

The beams are 4 x 2 set 40 cms apart. The wall that is blocking the ladder at present is a solid wall. The other walls around the hatch are stud.

I'm concerned about cutting two adjacent beams as from reading previous threads this is not a good idea.

Any ideas/help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
bump up. After a winter overseas I'm now home and hoping to get on with job this week.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers.

Can you use the joist at the top of the red dotted line as part of your new frame? If so, you're not changing anything structural and just moving the hatch space within the same area.

I'd run a length of timber parallel to the "big red" bit of timber so you're connecting them all together.

can you add some decking up there? That will help join all the joists together and give you some storage space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back