Loft Hatch must be behind the ladder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have purchased a Telesteps loft ladder which I intend to install tomorrow. As the loft hatch used to open into the loft, I am adapting it to open down into the room below.

I had planned to have the loft hatch open so that when the ladder is down, the hatch is hanging below the ladder. However, for one reason or another it would be easier to have it open to the right of the loft ladder.

Is there any particular reason why this shouldn't be done? I have been in a fair few lofts and have always seen the hatch drop behind the ladder, but never to one side, so there must be a reason for it that I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
behind the ladder is fully out the way when trying to pass things up to the ladder

if the door is attached to the ladder it may not follow properly from the side

Thank you - that makes a lot of sense, and that is the way I have done it.

One other quick question - Is it possible for the loft hatch door to be 'too heavy'? The door is quite small - about 640mm x 750mm and about 18mm thick and is made from solid pine - I estimate it to be about 4Kg, the ladder weighs 13kg, so that is 17kg fixed to this side of the hatch. The hatch door will be closed shut with sliding bolts - its a low ceiling which means I can easily undo them, but also means I could get smacked in the face

Is this kind of weight ok? I have thought about making a new loft door out of plywood, but the existing door fits in with the other doors in the house, and a ply one would look out of place - also the hatch is not square and I don't want to be fiddling with the hatch itself.

you will normally operate the hatch in accordance with the ladders requirements
is the hatch attached to the ladder/mechanism or free standing/hanging ??

Sponsored Links
if you have say a bit off 5x1" planed[21x119mm] to hang the ladder from make sure you have a bit off 4x2 behind firmly secured to the timbers to secure it to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back