Move loft hatch - extra cut in same joist OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice please re moving my loft hatch from the small front bedroom to the landing area outside of the bedrooms and bathroom.

The new hatch and ladder that I'd like is 700mm x 1100mm. Unfortunately there is not the space in the original location to simply expand the opening (as you can see from Fig1. there is a large beam that would prevent the ladders sitting ontop of the new hatch door). Also extending it the other way would go beyond the enclosure of the room.

I see the only option is to relocate the loft hatch to the landing area as we don't want the ladder to encroach into the small bedroom and the landing area would give us the freedom of space for a wooden set.

The concern I have is with structural integrity. Would it be structurally sound to move the hatch opening from Fig1 to Fig2 (Fig2 pic taken from standing at the new location)? The new hatch would only require one joist to be cut (in the same way that the original hatch is). These cuts would be to the same joist as the original hatch. The joist runs the full width of the house and does not split/lap/run over internal walls.

I appreciate any help/advice with this.

Loft electrics being renewed as well as new insulation is hinging on sorting the hatch first and foremost (oh and the darn hole in the roof on another post I made today).

Thanks very much ☺

DSC_0587.JPG

Fig1 (original hatch opening - top right of the photo shows the beam which would prevent the opening being extended further into the room). Only one joist has been cut.

DSC_0586.JPG

Fig2 - picture taken from exact location of proposed new hatch opening. As you can see only the central joist has been cut.

DSC_0589.JPG

Fig3 - this picture looks towards the proposed new location. If you follow the white cable to where there's some black tape on it, that would be the location of the new hatch.

Sponsored Links
Did you complete this diy project, the movement of the loft hatch. I have a similar scenario at my property and was hoping to move the hatch further down, same scenarios as you needing to make a further cut to the same loft rafter.

I'm wanting to know if this is structurally sound before attempting.

Look forward to hearing from you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back