Condensation in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Last couple of winters I have experienced condensation on one side of my roof in the loft (the side that doesn't get the sun). After a few questions and advice on here I have now had my loft fully insulated as it was only about 2" thick and new jackets and covers put on the cold water tanks as they just had bits of wood laying over them. Also I have had vetilation inserted into the fascias/soffits that I recently had fitted. Should this combat the problem I was having or should I also have vetilation tiles fitted on roof as has been suggested? I have had a roofer round this week and the tiles are Danbury Double Roman concrete tiles and he has only been able to find them at £55 per tile which he said seemed much too expensive? Any help would be very appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've got adequate ventilation along the eaves on both sides you shouldn't need any in the roof, presumably there's a gap between the insulation and the underside of the tiles? Best to see if you get any more condensation and think again if you do.

I must agree, wait and see,
'though ventilation is the key.
Roofer has turned down work 'cause of material cost?
...his business card must not be tossed!

1186146824_orig.jpg

It's that time of year again. After recently checking my loft I am again getting condensation on one side. There is enough for drips to form and drop down onto the insulation. I know a lot of people get condensation in the loft but is the more than the 'normal'? If anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
check your ventilation, see how much throughflow of air you have

verify it is not blocked with insulation or cobwebs

look at your water tanks, check that they have tight covers on, are insulated, and are not warm

go up on a cold night and look for steam rising up from your bathroom or round the loft hatch.

If you dry washing inside the house, or draped over radiators, or do not use an extractor fan in the bathroom, then you are creating a large moisture load which may be greater than the loft can cope with.

Thanks for the reply John. We do not have extractor fans in our bathroom or en suite and also have spotlights in both so perhaps this is causing the problem? Would leaving the window ajar in the bathroom solve this or should the spotlights be covered up in the loft somehow to stop the steam coming into the loft?

covering downlights in the loft with a non-flammable cover will help (don't flop insulation on them as they get hot)

Terra-cotta flowerpots, upside down, will do (this is not a joke)

you also need extractor fans in the bathrooms.

Thanks for the advice John. What sort of size pots are we talking here, as I wouldn't want to buy them too small if they are going to cause a hazard? Also do they need a hole in the bottom at all or can they be fully concealed?

they need to be big enough to fully cover the lamp. you can then insulate round them and leave the top uncovered. they come with a small hole anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back