Cause of condensation in loft, & best solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a mid 80's detached brick house with concrete tile pitched roof. I only have (shoddily cut) vent holes in the gable end leading to outside vent the soffits don't have vents. I noticed in attic recently during cold spell there was a lot of condensation and droplets were falling onto attic floor on the cold side which doesn't get much of the sun. Insulation in attic is only 200m and I don't have cavity wall insulation sinces it's wood bearing house. Another point to note is my loft hatch isn't insulated so I will get a new one installed in the new year.

I've called a few roofers and getting mixed messages on root cause and solution:
a) Needs re-felting due to webbing exposed that signs it's damaged through wear and tear + option c
b) Improve ventilation with 6 roof tile vents only
c) Improve ventilationwith 6 roof tile vents & circular soffit vents every 1M
d) Improve ventilation with 6 roof tile vents & overfacscia vents

If I opt for the ventilation route only I've read airflow design is key and the lower soffit/fascia vents used for intake should outnumber the exhaust roof tile vents. I'm also worried that the gable end vents might disrupt the airflow from low intake -> high exhaust if I were to get both roof tile vents and soffit/fascia vents. Based in North west UK.

My Questions are:
1) Is re-felt or ventilation the correct solution?
2) Would the gable end vents impact any of the above design options?
3) Which solution for condensation is optimal for my house ?

Many thanks

Attachments

• felt_water_droplets.jpg
    felt_water_droplets.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 37
  • felt_both_sides.jpg
    felt_both_sides.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 39
  • gable end vent.png
    gable end vent.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 39
  • SIPS panel - gable end vent holes.png
    SIPS panel - gable end vent holes.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 35
  • SIPS panel - gable end.png
    SIPS panel - gable end.png
    255 KB · Views: 30
  • UPVC soffit and fascia boards - no vents.png
    UPVC soffit and fascia boards - no vents.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 33
  • felt_upper_water_droplets.jpg
    felt_upper_water_droplets.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 34
  • felt_lower_water_droplets.jpg
    felt_lower_water_droplets.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
Webbing exposed .. haha
Forget that one type 1f felt was like that when new .

Make sure you have good insulation , including loft hatch .
Make sure extractors vent to the outside
Any increase in ventilation will help . If you have a profiled tile simply opening up felt laps will help and cost nothing

Bathroom Extract vent anywhere?
See recent posts on same

Webbing exposed .. haha
Forget that one type 1f felt was like that when new .

Make sure you have good insulation , including loft hatch .
Make sure extractors vent to the outside
Any increase in ventilation will help . If you have a profiled tile simply opening up felt laps will help and cost nothing

Thanks for reply
I wasn't sure as it's the older non-breathable stuff which I was told has a shelf live of 20 years so wasn't sure if i really did need a full re-felt job. Sounds like I should ignore the re-felt option.

I don't have extractor in bathroom yet (that's another job!) so I have recently put extra insulation over the bathroom ceiling only to stop vapour escaping through ceiling light holes.
When I do get one installed I will be using wall flu pipe rather than via roof.

I think I have profiled tile (Marley's double roman tiles)?
I've heard about the felt laps option on here using DIY wedges or buying plastic ones from shop.

Loft hatch and insulation across entrie attic are now on my job list - cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply
I wasn't sure as it's the older non-breathable stuff which I was told has a shelf live of 20 years so wasn't sure if i really did need a full re-felt job. Sounds like I should ignore the re-felt option.

Ours has been up for 70 years and only@ the eaves have perished a bit

Thanks that's reasuring to know.
Sounds like I just need to decide on which ventilation is best suited for my property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back