draught in window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Window draught
Please can somebody help me. I have 2 windows that have exactly the same problem. They have been installed for about 5 years now. The windows both have an opening window that opens like a door with the handle being on the right hand side. I have massive draughts coming in from the opposite side to the handle here the seal meets the opening window. I have replaced the hinges as I thought this might have been the problem,but no joy. I am not so sure it's the seal as it does meet the window for about 4 inches at both the top and bottom.the rest of the window is fine for seal just this one side. Like I said this has also happened on another window I have. Has anybody got any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
If the gap is halfway up (the middle) of the hinge side then it sounds like you need some closing wedges like these...

Fit one to the opener (the one with the bit sticking out of it) and the other half fitted to the frame, when the opener is closed the 2 wedges rub together as shown in the photo and pull the frame tight onto the gasket.

They can be a bit fiddly to fit, the wedge that fits in the 'eurogroove' is easy, the eurogroove is the groove that the mechanism is fitted in, the wedge on the frame needs to be in a certain spot so it rubs on the other but there is no slot for this so will be trial and error unfortunately

If you can imagine a door opening outwards and the handle being on the left hand side to lock then the draught is on the opposite side to the handle. The gap is about 30cm long. I have tried a product off eBay called sash seal window wedges but these have not helped at all.

Well it sounds like you've bought what i've described and suggested, make sure the wedges are actually rubbing together, the won't work at all if they don't touch each other

Sponsored Links
perhaps the opening sashes have bowed slightly remove beads and pack out frame outwards check tightness of seal by opening window and trapping a piece of paper between seal and frame, close window and see if it grabs the paper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back