20 years to find a fault.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a small strip light over the work station where I use my computer. I would run for 1/2 hour or so then go out I assumed a bad connection and have many times looked for the fault. But do anything and the fault would vanish. I had assumed it was the light covers over the end of the bulb which disconnect the lamp when removed but did not really need the lamp so just did not use it.

Last week the double dimming switch for the room light failed so got a new two gang switch to replace it which will then allow the last of my rooms to have energy saving bulbs.

On removal I read the back of the dimming switch 40 - 250 watt. Strip light was around 18W and the fault seems to have gone. It never dawned on me the fault could have been the dimming switch. May be it wasn't and it will fail again in an hours time? But it does seem there is no longer a fault and since I did not consider it could have been the problem maybe others have the same fault.

The problem was dimmer switch was fitted with a previous lamp so on fitting this lamp I had forgotten what size the dimming switch was.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back