A genius has died.

you tell me.

What do you mean by PC brigade?

Do you see anything objectionable about derogatory terms?

Just you being bloody rude to people and having one standard for yourself and another for others, John :)

Sponsored Links
So what do you mean by PC brigade?

You're very happy with Bernard Manning being abusive.

PC Brigade again
Or simply moved on with the times and developed good taste?
Comedy doesn't have to be cruel. I would say any comedian who relies on belittling people is **** poor and cheap. They can be much funnier than that if they use their brains.

Your opinion is your opinion, I didn't bring you a debate you brought it to me.

If you don't like what I think and judge me for saying it that's your problem.
Judge you, really? Oh... ok. I just merely pointed out the oxymoron of your statement. He had no respect for anyone and anything goes with his style of comedy and yet you lost respect by someone who is less offensive.

You know nothing about me you hothead, go on stormfront if you want a debate with KKK members. You think I'm going to defend something you think I am or believe ? No mate, that's not how it works.

Sponsored Links
So you like people to be respectful and not abusive, except when they're Bernard Manning.

And you like to call someone like me, who would not normally use such offensive language except to test your sincerity, "PC Brigade"

p.s.
I am sorry I offended you, and having made the example, I have edited my post.

Last edited:
You know nothing about me you hothead, go on stormfront if you want a debate with KKK members. You think I'm going to defend something you think I am or believe ? No mate, that's not how it works.
I have not called you a racist and I do not think you are a member of the KKK! Bit extreme your response!! No getting away from the fact the style of comedy has changed, so has the acceptability of such styles. Do you think ol' Manning would've been given a stage today? I don't think so and that's a good thing in my book, even if you think I am too PC for it. The 1970's was a very different era, I think of what was on telly with sitcoms!
We live and learn and we grow. That's surely a good thing?

I do think that everyone ought to be able to have an adult discussion even with disagreement, without having to resort to cheap insults.

I don't believe in name calling. I have Cerebral Palsy. No doubt John would have been happy to call me a cripple had I upset him.

Not very nice, is it?

Over the years, I've had them all, cripple, cretin, spaz, ****** and ****. From children and adults. It's just bullying.

no, it was not because I was upset, I was trying to illustrate the sort of language that is unacceptable. I don't think that calling people "PC brigade" when they object to offensive language is right.

I am sorry I have given the wrong impression.

Securespark, I think you've misunderstood the meaning behind JohnD's post.

I agree, being called names such as cripple, spaz etc is not nice, it IS bullying. It has no place in society, but then neither does racism and the style of comedy from Mr Manning. Is it too PC to ask people to dislike bullying over physical (and mental) illnesses as well as race?

So you like people to be respectful and not abusive, except when they're Bernard Manning.

And you like to call someone like me, who would not normally use such offensive language except to test your sincerity, "PC Brigade"

p.s.
I am sorry I offended you, and having made the example, I have edited my post.

Fair enough as it is uneccesary and let's not forget you are talking about subject matter not individual posters.

What I meant by PC brigade is demonstrated in the way you spoke to me as though I'm Bernard Manning himself, if you disagree with him and think he's racist and you obviously feel strongly against what you believe he stood for, that's a debate with him. He's dead. I just posted in relation to how I felt he was treated by her on her show some 20 years ago now, and to be honest she came across as a bit of a horrid, sh1t stirrer, constantly digging at him for using racist jokes in his carrer to get laughs, as though that's all he was on her show - to be attacked and to justify just that one aspect. Whether you like him or not, he made an honest living selling his act to people that wanted to pay to see it.

Here is part one of the interview :

This is a horrible interview and very akward and difficult to watch at times, and it's orchestrated by her. As the host, she could have chosen to move the subject on and been more professional but instead she rallied against him blatently creating controversy and causing the uncomfortable atmosphere to make a name for herself by belittling him. Whether you like his style of comedy or not, doesn't mean he needed to be verbally attacked repeatedly. The guy had a career spanning back to the 70s, of course some of it is going to be out-dated along with his personal views of how things were versus now. Was he racist? Yes, in my opinion. This doesn't mean I can't enjoy the guys comedy from a bygone era. For you, that means the person is a cripple or a demon or whatever other names you want to use, and he's paid the price for the racist side of his act because he's gone down in history as a racist comedian, and people like her and yourself would encourage others to forget him completely, primarily because of his racist views. I'm not of the opinion you can hold someone to a standard that they were completely ignorant/out of touch with, and then judge them forever for it, and I don't like her for that BUT it's very sad she died at a relatively young age, and suffered with different forms of cancer throughout her life until the end. Clearly a warm/good person at heart, both of them were in my opinion.

I have not called you a racist and I do not think you are a member of the KKK! Bit extreme your response!! No getting away from the fact the style of comedy has changed, so has the acceptability of such styles. Do you think ol' Manning would've been given a stage today? I don't think so and that's a good thing in my book, even if you think I am too PC for it. The 1970's was a very different era, I think of what was on telly with sitcoms!
We live and learn and we grow. That's surely a good thing?

Yes you did and now your back tracking because I'm refusing to defend Bernard Manning for every racist joke or opinion he's ever said.

As above, yes things change. Why you felt the need to attack me for not agreeing with it being acceptable that she treated him like garbage on her own show, shows that you are quite happy for him to be treated that way for holding his views, which is a reflection on you not on me. He never attacked anyone physically or caused harm to people, he hurt feelings with his sharp wit, and some of his act was offensive to many different ethnic groups.. by his own admission he attacks all of them because it gets laughs... but deep down was there a bit of an ugly side to him? Probably yes. If he was alive today and I went to one of his shows and he singled me out in the way akin to how he treated some audience members throughout his career, I'd probably dislike him also. As above the rest of what I posted pretty much answers the rest of your post, and you started this dialogue by going off on one + John calling me names and drawing all sorts of conclusions simply because I disagree with how she attacked him, IMO of course. This is what polarises opinion and creates hatred in people.

Sponsored Links
Back