A genius has died.

I still don't understand why you don't get my point. You were upset that she attacked him verbally and yet the guy made a living out of doing exactly just that to others. It is a point of 2 wrongs don't make a right. I never said I agreed with what she did either but I did imply it was the lesser crime. I do believe that Manning was the worst of the two down to what his material was made out of. He admitted himself that he was racist and I am not sorry that I don't like him (didn't like him in the 70's either) but I've never liked Ahernes shows either. And for him, if you live by the sword, you die by the sword and he is no position to dislike the dose of medicine he received as it's what he gave out to others.

And I didn't call you a racist, not at all. I was amused that your level of acceptability was different to mine, that you were 'siding' if you like with the person who was less civil and kind in his material. Did that make you a racist? Not necessarily, it meant you liked one person more than the other and that as you pointed out, was your opinion.
It's been you who has been more hot-headed in your responses, and am afraid you are looking into things that aren't there. I never called you a racist, I called Manning a racist. If you find his humour funny then that's up to you and if you jumped to the conclusion that it made it sound like I am calling you a racist then......

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
He never ''attacked'' anyone did he, it was part of his act as a comedian, and if they wanted to avoid the horrible exchanges in those interviews, why have him on? The BBC paid him to go on her show and then briefed her on how to upset and belittle him. The whole thing was designed to humiliate him right down to the questions being put in her ear from backstage and the audience questions about whether he would give a lift to a black person on the road. Watch the whole interview, it's pathetic.

Reason we are talking about this now is because you started on about racist this and racist that and I made one single sentence expressing my views which you didn't like because in your opinion Bernard Manning deserves all the abuse and humiliation he got. It doesn't matter to you the real person there, just that anyone that expresses anything other than purely negative abuse towards him is also a horrible racist person. Face facts and don't deny it, this is exactly what you think.

He never ''attacked'' anyone did he
It doesn't matter to you the real person there,.

Fair enough post, appreciate your response. Can I ask tho... - making racist jokes about people, some would say that he did attack them by using their ethnicity as a point of ridicule don't you think? And did it matter to Manning who the real people were when he was using such humour? That's the thing, there's real people and real people's feelings at the end of his jokes, we just didn't know each and every one of them.

Yes, anyone who makes a living out of ridiculing others does deserve no sympathy from me when he is ridiculed himself. I dare say am not alone in this opinion. It's similar to seeing the school bully thumped - good, they get a taste of their own medicine and finally get that no, it's not nice. Does that make anyone who had sympathy towards the bully as bad as the bully? Not necessarily.

I did not go on about racist this and that! Goodness me - please re-read what I wrote, I called Manning racist, something he freely admitted himself! I did not call you a racist, I just thought, as I said before, that it was amusing that someone sides with the bully when he was one of the biggest bullies himself. It was of it's time sadly, the 70's were not all good. Am sorry that you have taken things I've said in the wrong way, but I cannot express myself more clearly. If you wish to see things that are not there then there is nothing else I can say.

Sponsored Links
He never ''attacked'' anyone did he
It doesn't matter to you the real person there,.

Fair enough post, appreciate your response. Can I ask tho... - making racist jokes about people, some would say that he did attack them by using their ethnicity as a point of ridicule don't you think? And did it matter to Manning who the real people were when he was using such humour? That's the thing, there's real people and real people's feelings at the end of his jokes, we just didn't know each and every one of them.

Yes, anyone who makes a living out of ridiculing others does deserve no sympathy from me when he is ridiculed himself. I dare say am not alone in this opinion. It's similar to seeing the school bully thumped - good, they get a taste of their own medicine and finally get that no, it's not nice. Does that make anyone who had sympathy towards the bully as bad as the bully? Not necessarily.

I did not go on about racist this and that! Goodness me - please re-read what I wrote, I called Manning racist, something he freely admitted himself! I did not call you a racist, I just thought, as I said before, that it was amusing that someone sides with the bully when he was one of the biggest bullies himself. It was of it's time sadly, the 70's were not all good. Am sorry that you have taken things I've said in the wrong way, but I cannot express myself more clearly. If you wish to see things that are not there then there is nothing else I can say.

I don't dispute any of that but I judge her for using him as a steeping stone for her own career which is what I posted primarily. Careerwise she lived in a different spot light, more of a tv personality than comic, and the royal family she co-wrote really was genius. I regret saying this now to be honest because it is a condolences thread and not for debating PC topics, and to say I lost respect implies as though it's a put down of her in defence of Bernard Manning, but really I'm judging the behaviour from that one episode and not the person. Forget I mentioned it.

... and the reason I don't hold the same candle to someone like Bernard Manning is because naturally you would NOT expect better.

Back