Affordable Warmth scheme… Ideal got it stitched it up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I qualify for the free replacement boiler under the Affordable Warmth scheme –unfortunately. The only boiler you can have is… Ideal, either 18, 24 or 30 HE combi. :evil:

Previously – in July when I enquired about this scheme, I was told the boilers were Vailliant :D A reliable well constructed boiler according to many here. Ideal boilers don't have that reputation, they have a quite different reputation. I think someone here used the word carp; perhaps the spelling was different.

In this thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187037
it's mentioned that former Vailliant senior staff moved to Ideal in order to increase Ideal's reliability and build quality. Seems they also took the Affordable Warmth boiler supply contract with them.

My home is not suited to a combi; the existing 30+ y.o. FS, CF boiler is on it's last leg but the HW cyl and pipework are only 5 years old. A replacement condensing, FS, CF boiler would be the best solution, in my opinion. The Worcester 30CDI FS £1100ish would be best, but a Potterton 30 Powermax at £650ish would do. Both would be an easier install.

I've made enquires with two separate companies who administer this scheme and there is NO choice; you get the Ideal or nowt.

I reckon that inflicting a potentially unreliable boiler on folks who can least afford the expense of breakdowns – when the 2 year guarantee runs out – is a rotten trick.

If anyone knows a way to get a decent reliable boiler on the Affordable Warmth scheme please tell.

Sponsored Links
On affordable warmth you get what ever system is given to you even if your house is not suitable for a combi, you may end up with one unfortunatly, the money thats give to the install companies is not a great deal so its just the cheapest job they can do, there is alot of good things said about the new ideal combis(logics) on this forum, personally i would not touch them, many firms are fitting vaillants and baxis in your area so keep ringing round.
Ultimatly if you want the system you req then pay for it yourself as the old saying goes beggars cant be choosers.

The firm i work for deal with AW and it ****es me right off when i spec up for a job and the customer tells me what he wants, it does not work like that you get what your given end of!

Sponsored Links
Hi Bazdaman, thanks for your contribution. I got the impression that Ideal boilers were the boilers offered in the Affordable Warmth scheme nationally. No other choice, anywhere else; perhaps I'm wrong.

Yeah beggers can't be choosers, I know. Hope I don't seem like an ungrateful, benefit scrounger type – oh dear.

engineerman, thanks for your wise counsel also; I'd not thought of that option :D

I know of ideal, vaillant baxi ariston and the b and q sime boilers available for AW but a company will generally supply one brand so choose a different company!
I didnt mean to get at you (maybe a bit) i just deal with alot of unsavoury characters that want the earth from a free scheme!

baz, I looked into what was being offered, the T&C's ect, so I'd know what was on offer before the heating engineer arrived to do a survey. I don't want to wast anyones time so I've decided – more or less not to pursue the AW scheme. Another scrounger bites the dust.

It might be best to acquire a recent, second hand FS, CF boiler of quality manufacture. Not bothered about SEBUK A ratings or suchlike. If a boiler causes me no trouble or expense over 30 odd years, that's better than any theoretical savings in gas, probably.

Anyone know where I could buy a good, used, recent model, FS, CF, 60k - 80k btu boiler – one that's going to be scrapped anyway. :)

My mother in law is getting hers fitted on Monday and it's a Vaillant.

Hey Baz :D Thanks for being candid man. I understand folks's irritability re scroungers ect. Actually I wouldn't qualify as a "proper" scrounger… nevermind about why. I'll try doing more phoning to see if there's another option with the boiler.

Gav :D I understand where the dosh is coming from. Govt. sez energy co's must provide us po' folks with affordable warm, so we's don't get de hypotherm thing and stop polluting with the CO's. Energy co's put up bills to everybody else to pay for it; plus a bit extra for them. I didn't invent the cockeyed scheme, only a politician could devise such a piece of…

Hey Dan :D How you doin' man? "Ungrateful scrounger is exactly how you come off."

Aaa feel terrible shame. Yo' is indeed right to mock me. Aaaa deserves to die o' that hypo- thermee; 'tis better ifn Aaa die. Goodbye y'all, yo' has helped me greatly…

Denso :D Where's M-i-L live ish? Do you know what company – for the admin – she deals with?

Your right cock eyed system i went to a massive house must of been 1.5million plus, maserati and a new 3 series on drive big fountain roundabout in front of house, had to be a combi as would of req new cyl, controls etc. didnt want to pay a penny for the job even to upgrade to an 837 so the guy goes from having a massive stored hw cyl to having an ecotec pro 28!! Madness

Hey Gav :D If I give somebody a chuckle, that makes it all worthwhile.

Ev'n da freezin' cold nights, an 'avin to chop up de furniture fo' firewood to cook vittles on. I donne mind goin' out ev'ry day fo' firewood, but sometimes there jest ain't none t' be 'ad. T'other po' folks got there first… damn :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back