Anyone seen 'how to solder' tips on the 'Net ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am about to embark on my first soldering in my house.

Up until now I've used compression fittings, but I am about to fit a shower and space is limited.

I have just ordered a bunch of connectors with built in solder rings to make it a little easier, as well as a Gas Lamp and heat pad.

I found a brief explanation on diydata.co.uk but nothing else.

Has anyone seen or written something in this forum before ? If so please post link

Sponsored Links
Do a search - it's probably been covered many times before.

The way I use solder rings is as follows:

- Cut pipes using pipe cutter
- Deburr pipe ends with a small file, making sure there is no 'lip' on the cut end of the pipe
- Join pipework together with fitting(s) to make sure it all fits
- Use a brush to apply flux to the pipe ends and reassemble pipework (good idea to twist the fittings on so flux is spread evenly inside)
- Use some tissue or kitchen towel to remove the excess flux from the outside of the fittings (this prevents the flux sucking the solder outside the fitting)
- Position a heat-proof soldering mat behind the fitting
- Apply heat to the centre of the fitting. After a few seconds you will see a ring of solder appear at both ends of the fitting. Hold for a couple of seconds more and remove heat.
- Wait for fitting to cool down before touching

Make sure pipework is completely dry else the solder joint may not form correctly.

To add to that:-

depending on the power of your blow torch, you may find it takes more than 30 seconds for a joint to run (especially in 22mm).

If you're doing a complex joint- several connections very close together, do the biggest one first - it has greater heat capacity.

Use an active flux (powerflow, laco, evergreen). Only put the flux on immediately before you solder- after 10 or 15 minutes it goes gunky and doesn't work so well.

one the pipe has cooled slightly, and the solder has solidified, wipe the joint with a damp cloth to get the remaining flux off, otherwise it will go green.

use flux sparingly- you don't need very much, and if you put too much on you'll take ages boiling it off before the solder will melt.

don't get flux in a cut, it hurts.

If all the solder drips out the bottom of the joint, and there isn't a nice ring at the top, then you used too much heat. There's no need to cook it- as soon as the solder flows, you're done.

I would add if you are using 'dirty' pipe, clean it before you cut it (I use wire wool).

Sponsored Links
my best tip is..clean it to bright metal with wire wool and imediately put the flux on and solder it.... dont hang about.

So is a heat resistant mat if you dont want to repair all the decorations you will otherwise ruin. Practice on bits of pipe outside before doing it on the system.

use a saw or plaster board instead of heat mat, doesn't flop over your work. Saw looks a mess but can still be used, OK for a plumbers saw anyway.

Biggest mistake beginners get is not having a suitable flame not positioning it right and not knowing when to stop. Do a few practice runs then cut joint apart and check for penetration. Joints must be pushed right home to the end, in some cases not doing so is riddor reportable.

You heat fitting not pipe and try and get used to when it gets hot enough, when the flame goes green it's just gone over, hang around too long after that and your joint will oxidise go black and not stick. When you think it's hot apply solder or in solder ring watch ring appear, make sure joint is heated adequately and evenly when you see the ring, you don't want a blobby ring you want the surface tension to break you see it flatten onto the pipe when it's right, it just suddenly goes, remove heat at that moment, don't move a thing, let it cool gradually then wipe with wet cloth.

If using endfeed a 15mm length of solder does 15mm pipe 22mm of solder does 22mm pipe.

Not sure how many people are still watching this topic.

However as the first reply mentioned I'm sure this has been covered before. I did do quite a bit of searching before hand both on the net and on the forums.

My biggest problems was choosing the right words to search for.

Anyway I hope this topic gets added to the FAQ or similar.

Thanks all again

The bits that are going to be soldered must be as clean as possible. even the grease from your fingers will cause the solder not to stick.

Wire wool or a cleaning tool is a must just before you put the flux on or water water will p*ss from your joints.

Andy

A local "general builder" who was fitting a bathroom suite called me because everything was piped up in lead. Unfortunately I couldn't get it all out, so had to use two lead locks, but that's not relevant. While I was there I said do you want me to pipe up for you? Yes. so I was preping my joints for soldering , cleaning fluxing, assembling, he watched with great interest, wanted to know what that stuff was I put on the pipe before I put the joint together.

General builders for you!

I find that lead free solder runs a lot better than leaded and I only ever get a leak when I use leaded.

No doubt you older plumbers will disagree but i very much prefer lead free solder. :D

Yeah, it runs everywhere and makes a mess down the pipes, costs more too :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back