Anyone seen 'how to solder' tips on the 'Net ?

Don't take any notice Stevey baby, there's not a reason in the world that you cannot use wire wool to clean the pipes and fittings.

We get the CC's on all the time thinking they know best :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The reason for not using wire wool in a heating circuit is because it collects at the lowest point, usually rads , creating an electrolytic reaction, then rotting the internal structure.

Sponsored Links
Even the Mighty Oilman is foxed. You are all wrong & you are supposed to be Plumbers/Heating Engineers,

You can forget the "mighty", and you are just being pointlessly pedantic. I would suggest that most soldered copper joints are cleaned with steel wool, and almost all do not cause a problem in the lifetime of the system. So your theoretical purist approach is irrelevant. If it wasn't irrelevant because there were large numbers of problems, another method would have been found to improve the reliability. So stop being so holy.
monkey.gif

Don't take any notice Stevey baby, there's not a reason in the world that you cannot use wire wool to clean the pipes and fittings.

We get the CC's on all the time thinking they know best :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The reason for not using wire wool in a heating circuit is because it collects at the lowest point, usually rads , creating an electrolytic reaction, then rotting the internal structure.

Complete rubbish boy, go and do another 6 week course :LOL: at best the inhibitor would prevent corrosion assuming it works on steel wool :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hang on! there's 2 Bambers... who's who?

Your quick Stevey :LOL: thems both the same idiot but with white space between the R&G

unintentional I assure you, sometimes I log in with a space, it`s quite correct diy & it does happen, (electrolytic action, steel in water , different metals & all that, ) it`s a scientifically proven fact,soz matey. look it up, I have your humble pie here :cry:

Wire wool rots radiators internally, nothing to do with me, scientific fact which most plumbers/fitters, to my knowledge already know,then again it is the twenty first Century, or weren`t you informed.

I don`t talk` carp`

But you do. Steel wool and steel radiators are damn near the same material, and electrolytically there's probably more difference in the radiator at the weld junctions. The thing that really rots radiators is copper filings from the pipes. That causes electrolysis to occur and generates pinholes. If you don't believe me look it up.

.............. explain to me how different metals in water do not cause a reaction, i.e, electrolytic, as in corrosive, ever wondered why your car battery is made of solid plastic :?:

Um, the battery is full of sulphuric acid. (sulfuric for those who can't speak English). It's nothing to do with the metals inside it. Even if was a metal container made of one metal it would still corrode, so you either store the acid in plastic or glass. Now give your rear end a chance, it makes more sense than your mouth.

My god is this still topic still going :eek: good read though, thanks guys....

as far as I know, plumbers and DIYers have been and will continue to use wire wool to clean the ends of copper forever.

Have a pint of lager and chill guys :eek: :eek:

Lifes to short

what a pointless argument why bother :confused:

because we are friends, admittedly we can`t stand each other, but we are cyber mates.

Well, I look on Oilman as a cyber Brother,xxxxxxxxxxx

yes maybe its sport, but now it steps beyond what is reasonable and is simpley unpleasant.
ive had years on web site chat rooms, so a bit of sport ok, so long as it remains within proportion.
this getting personal
and enough is enough

Guys, Guys, just clean the damn pipe with what you want, use powerflux, make sure it dont leak, go down the pub at the end of a hard days work and say you have done a good job.....................................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back