Anyone seen 'how to solder' tips on the 'Net ?

Hightowermark said:
So whats better, solder joints or using solder on its own?

you mean pre-soldered (known as yorkshire) vs. plain (end feed)?

A plumber will use end feed all the time. Yorkshire are supposed to be easier, but speaking here as a diyer, in my opinion the end feed are easier. particularly with 22mm pipe. A large part of this is that cheap blow torches are very hard to control, and it's too easy to get the joint too hot, or unevenly heated, and have most the solder run out. With end feed you can take your time and get the heat just right before applying solder.

End feed is also much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
i always use end feed fittings and you must use lead free solder on potable water joints

Do any of you Einsteins know why you should never clean your fittings/copper with wire wool?

I`ll give you an hour to look it up ;)

I do, I also flux my fittings as well as my pipe, one pound for the person who states the fundamental flaws in these statements.

Knock yerselves out ;)

Sponsored Links
Oh poo!! he beat me to it. :(

However statistically it doesn't seem to be a significant practical problem, and could be fixed by wiping the surfaces with a degreaser, then alcohol. (Then drink what's left ;) )

Well I've been using wire wool to clean the fittings and pipe for 49.2 years, I also use Yorkshire traditional flux on the pipe only, and maybe get 2-3 leaks a year on the lager size pipes.

Well I've been using wire wool to clean the fittings and pipe for 49.2 years, I also use Yorkshire traditional flux on the pipe only, and maybe get 2-3 leaks a year on the lager size pipes.

What size pipe is used for lager? ;)

Oh poo!! he beat me to it. :(

However statistically it doesn't seem to be a significant practical problem, and could be fixed by wiping the surfaces with a degreaser, then alcohol. (Then drink what's left ;) )

Even the Mighty Oilman is foxed. You are all wrong & you are supposed to be Plumbers/Heating Engineers,

You have 24 hours Gentlemen to redeem yourselves,

See you tomorrow ;)

I aint a plumber but while wire wooling some of my joints the other day, I thought about all the bits of wire wool sat in the pipe. And to take a pot shot at your question:

I think it may have something to do with an electrolytic reaction between the ferrous and non ferrous metals, as soon as water is added into the equation. Would it 'rot' the pipe from the inside? where ever there is a strand of wire wool (Iron) in contact with the copper?

Go on, tell me I'm wrong.. ;)

I
I think it may have something to do with an electrolytic reaction between the ferrous and non ferrous metals, as soon as water is added into the equation. Would it 'rot' the pipe from the inside? where ever there is a strand of wire wool (Iron) in contact with the copper?

Go on, tell me I'm wrong.. ;)

heres a clue
we cant have the two metals in the same trench :idea:

so would it be a good idea to have them in the same joint? just a thought :rolleyes:

we cant have the two metals in the same trench

Do you mean like you can't have gas and electric runnin in the same trench? Old gas mains were Iron but the old electric cables were armour coated with coiled steel, B*****d to strip down for a weigh in :LOL:

The old water mains were Iron weren't they?

Or am I reading to much into your cryptic clue? :confused:

trench used for carrying pipework, due to electrolytic action.

having a galvanised header attatched to copper pipework also creates an interesting effect,
turns the copper into a lace curtain :eek:

expensive when its 2" copper ;)

we cant have the two metals in the same trench

Do you mean like you can't have gas and electric runnin in the same trench? Old gas mains were Iron but the old electric cables were armour coated with coiled steel, B*****d to strip down for a weigh in :LOL:

The old water mains were Iron weren't they?

Or am I reading to much into your cryptic clue? :confused:

Don't take any notice Stevey baby, there's not a reason in the world that you cannot use wire wool to clean the pipes and fittings.

We get the CC's on all the time thinking they know best :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back