Asian customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to get in my van to get home when an asian man came out and asked me to do a job for him, I went up and said £40, he agreed. I reluctantly got my gear out the van and did the work. I asked for payment, and he immediately started trying to haggle the price, £20 he offered me. I offered to take out everything I had done and leave the mess for him to sort out and charge him £0, would that suit him better? he paid up.

Sponsored Links
My worst encounter was with a Greek Cypriot.

His wife was the only one home when I did a job and I asked her about a couple of finishing items which she ok'd.

When I finished the job and it was time to collect the dollar from the husband, he started questioning some of the finishing items that his wife had ok'd.

Whilst I pleaded my case in that she had sanctioned them he refused to accept this saying that he hadn't.

I was fuming. I reluctantly accepted a lesser payment in lieu of the fact that I was not going to alter any of the work and that he was not going to pay.
I refused to do any more work for him and any of his (large) family ever again. His brother was livid as we had a decent relationship and I had done a lot of work for him with the potential for a lot more.

P.S. All the Indian Asians I've worked for have been fine. Yes, they do ask 'is this the best price?' and you politely say 'fraid so take it or leave it'.

Not had any bother getting paid.

Have you seen the diy work they do? it's possible they expect a lower standard of work and hence price.

One thing I will say to their credit, they don't tend to complain afterwards, all haggling etc is done while you're face to face with them.

Sponsored Links
A relative of mine self employed lock smith got a call out one night for a business premises shutters where the Asian owner could not get in... anyhow he turns up opens the shutters and it needed a new lock, he agreed a price and done the work all ok but spent weeks chasing up the money with no joy... so one night he goes back and takes his lock back and puts the old one back on and then the "customer " has the cheek to ring him up complaining that the lock he fitted had gone faulty and wanted him to come and fix it, he said yeah no problem and never went then about every 45mins the customer kept on ringing him and he just kept on saying I will be there soon but never bothered... he never did get paid...live and learn and now he is choosy who he works for

I know they are going to try to get discount after job done so I usually add cash on at start, so they think they're getting a discount when really it's same price as I would charge anyway.
Both parties end up happy.

It sounds like you all agree a price verbally, then are surprised when they haggle. I now get it in writing from them up front. Makes the haggling afterwards so much easier.

It seems logical to me that if people of a certain ethnicity prove to be troublesome when it comes to paying up, the safest course of action should be to avoid them in the future.

Unfortunately, the do-gooders and the powers-that-be see things differently and, given half a chance, would take the opportunity to accuse the tradesman of racism.

It seems logical to me

I'm afraid you're talking common sense, and that appears to be something that has gone out of the window on this isle in recent years.

It's labelled as being judgemental and seems to be frowned upon. However, being judgemental can sometimes save your life, or less dramatically, help you survive as a human being.

Is anyone taking the minutes from this Klan meeting?
Be careful you don't scorch your hands on them there burnin crosses.
:rolleyes:

Indeed, prisons around the world are full of peoples from all cultures, races and creeds who didn't feel the need to pay the going rate for something they wanted.

The only lynch mob I can see is the one chucking the hysterical accusations of racism about.

Their advice is to ignore your own experiences and the experiences of others and pretend that all races behave, think and act exactly the same. If only life were that simple. :rolleyes:

I also avoid working for landlords. Do you have an 'ism' to fit this? Why would I want to make life more difficult for myself than it has to be by working for people who are more prone to not wanting to pay the going rate - if at all? I'm running a business, not the Commission For Racial Equality. If people have a problem with that, it is THEIR problem. Will they underwrite any losses or additional costs if I were to adopt a caring, sharing, touch-feely, lefty, peace and love non-judgemental attitude like theirs?

No. Thought not. :rolleyes:

I wasn't going to post on this thread because there is a similar one running elsewhere.

So noseall and maybe Dex think it racist to refuse to work for a group of people that have a habit of knocking you at the end of a job.

My own experience:
Most of my customers over the last 30 something years have been white British. Most of them have paid up at the end of the job, some have delayed payment for reasons best known to themselves. But I can honestly say that I can't think of a single one that refused to pay or wanted to re-negotiate the price after completion.

Amongst the small number that weren't White British. I have had, I can't pay, won't pay, and now it's time for a little re-negotiation. They have all paid so perhaps it was just their culture to try it on.

It's far better to avoid a problem than having deal with it once you've worked your balls off. More so when you saw it coming. I won't work for them, no exceptions. Anyway, they wouldn't want a racist working for them either I guess. A few years back I would have just been the bloke that wanted paying for work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back