Automatic cars.

Sponsored Links
Time to change the law to stop the use of manual cars. Surely even you know there isn't one at the moment. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Time to change the law to stop the use of manual cars. Surely even you know there isn't one at the moment. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The law should be changed to get rid of automatics....people need to be safer and have control when driving.

Sponsored Links
So one hand on the wheel is safer than 2? Ok to eat apples and talk on phones then.

What you mean is introduce a law to ban manual transmission car's.

Out of interest Joe , what's brought this up? Has there been a report recently attributing road incidents to manual transmissions?

Nothing really. It seemed like the type of topic we like to discuss in here. I just think that we are locked in a time-warp. Automatics should be the norm by now.

OK - here's the scenario. You are driving in Wales up and down really twisty roads. You are having to change up and down all the time. You go around a twisty section, you are changing gear and are suddenly confronted by a cow (or pothole). You only have one hand on the wheel instead of two. How is that 'in control'?

Joe... I would suggest that you surrender your licence immediately and buy a bus ticket as you have no driving abillity, you have forgotten what you have been tought when you learned to drive and are a hazard on the road.. A good driver knows to change gear and to be in the correct gear BEFORE you reach the hazard or bend in the road so there is no need to remove your hand from the wheel in the event of you encountering the unexpected.... If you care to look, you will find it in the advanced drivers manual..

Automatics have their purpose, they are ideal for the disabled, Americans and the terminally baffled

Squeek, squeek.......What's that?......Joe on his bicycle.... :D

Joe, don't worry about driving around in Wales, the Welsh are a bit choosy who they let in these days, you'd be detained at the border... ;)

The law that says you must not eat, drink, mobile or change gear. You have no true control with one hand on the wheel.

Surely then that must mean radios , window winders or switches or anything that requires the hand to be removed momentarily should be banned then?
Even hands free phones are more of a hazard than changing gear in a manual vehical.
Not as much as changing gears ;)

Can't find it, someone done a survey on how many gears changing driving over 50 miles, I think the average was over 2000 times, let alone the clutch!

A short story for you Joe...

After 8 driving lessons the instructor put me in for my test, telling me the test would be probably be in two months time or something, well 3 weeks later i was taking my test...GULP!!! with the lesson directly before the test being the 11th.

Turned left out of the test centre, 100yds turned right at the lights and was told to pull over, i was told somewhere during the test i would be asked to perform an emergency stop, meaning stopping as quickly as possible, without locking the wheels and maintaining full control of the vehicle, with that said i was told to pull away.

Half a mile later a dog ran out in front of me from in between parked cars at precisely the moment i was changing gear, from memory 3rd to 4th, without hesitation i stood on them (the brakes), no locking, no swerving and in full control, situation over i pulled off and carried on with the test.

It wasn't till we'd got back to the test centre and gone through the usual road signs business that he told me during my emergency stop i failed to keep both hands on the wheel but because i kept full control, didn't lock the wheels and didn't kill the dog that he would pass me, also saying it was the best emergency stop he'd seen all month.

So, 11 lessons and i passed 1st time at 18, i'm 42 now and been driving ever since, learned a hell of a lot and still learning now, never caused an accident but been involved in a few, never has one hand on the wheel caused me harm.

Its all about situational awareness, something i'd guess your very much lacking!!!

The americians favor automatics because some of their biggest car manufacturers made some very good automatics in the 60's people liked them, the fuel prices were low enough over there (especially then) that there wasn't an issue over ecommony, and people adopted them and many folk over there never learnt to drive manual.

In Europe that never happened, even recently even the likes of ford europe were still making automatic gear boxes which fell to bits after 80k, just about every one over here learns to drive manual because most cars are manual, and those who know how to drive manual generally perfer manual becuase of the better eccomony and the greater choice of cars, no eurpeon manuafacturer really focuses on making good automatics because they are not popular.... catch 22?

Sponsored Links
Back