bare earth wires..

interesting. I note that back boxes used to be black. I guess sleeving was not required in these days

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure the main reason is to prevent any electrolytic action between the copper wire and galvanised back boxes. Thats why the earth should be completely sleeved.

and on that note, what about the actual connection of the earth flylead to the galv backbox?

Sponsored Links
pfftt.. you buy the posh backboxes then..

the cheap ones just have 2 little tags punched into them.. one to stop the cable sliding out, and one for the screw..

Oh. I usually go for generic unbranded boxes.

I know the ones you mean, but I don't think I've fitted one for years. Mine have always had the little brass earth terminal. :confused:

It's still the norm in the U.S. to leave earths bare, and where a fly-lead to the steel box is needed to secure a copper wire directly to it with a hex-head machine screw. Doesn't seem to cause any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back