Bathroom FCU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re-doing my bathroom which has only the bare walls at the moment.
Its not a very big bathroom - 4 sq m. Previously it did not have any
electrics apart from the ceiling light. I am putting in an extractor
fan - off the lighting circuit. I'm also putting in a thermostatic
shower and underfloor heating. Both of these are to be wired to a new
circuit in the CU.

My question is regarding the location of the FCU's. Now if I were to
be a good sparkie then I'd put 3 FCU's for the above. Question is
where do I put them?! On the wall outside the bathroom I've got the
light switch for the bathroom next which is to the control switch for the
underfloor heating. If I were to put 2/3 FCU's near them it would look
a mess. I dont want this wall, which is in the landing, to look like
the distribution point for the national grid. Any ideas?

Regards
Tipu

Sponsored Links
Is there an airing cupboard, that you could install them in?

Alternatively you could buy an IP rated FCU, of splash proof construction for use in the bathroom.

they cant go in there either, you could put them out of the zones, ie up at ceiling height i think its 2.8 meters to be out of the zones

Sponsored Links
how will they help, they will still be subject to the zones.....or am i missing something? :confused:

i think ChrisRogers Meant because they are smaller / neater? and can go up near the ceiling, but i could be wrong

ChrisRogers said:
use MK gridmodules?

Chris, thanks, I thought of that already and looks like there are other geniuses that think along the same lines! ;)

I've decided to place them on outside of the bathroom wall at ceiling height (below the coving). I'm gonna use a 2 grid plate on its own for the fan as its off the lighting circuit (you can't get a compact 6 - way grid); and a 4 grid plate for the shower/ underfloor heating supply.

Breezer - cheers for the link. I'll be getting 3 x DP switch and 3 x the fuse holders. I think that'll be neat enough!

I've also decided to complicate matters even more... I'm thinking off putting in an airbath (here). Now do you thinks its cheeky having both the shower and the airbath connected to the same supply off the FCU? - I dont fancy adding yet another FCU and running another cable up there. I thought this would be the easy option as the thermostatic control unit is going under the bath anyways.

if you are having an electric shower the the answer is no, as it will have a 32a mcb and thats not what your air bath requires, and you cant get 2 6mm cables into one isolation switch.

regarding the airbath could you not just eat more baked beans?

Its a thermostatic shower so only requires about 20Watts max as it takes hot water off the combi and cold off the mains.

As to the bath I've decided that now I'm going to have 2 x 4 grid plates. I think a 32A MCB should be enough to supply the shower (20W), underfloor heating (150W) and the AirBath (unknown yet as i havent recieved it). The fan's coming off the lighting ring - so no need to consider calculations for that.

I've tried different brands of baked beans but and haven't been able to find any that create as much air as the airbaths!

tipu said:
Its a thermostatic shower so only requires about 20Watts max as it takes hot water off the combi and cold off the mains.

As to the bath I've decided that now I'm going to have 2 x 4 grid plates. I think a 32A MCB should be enough to supply the shower (20W), underfloor heating (150W) and the AirBath (unknown yet as i havent recieved it). The fan's coming off the lighting ring - so no need to consider calculations for that.

so you have; 20watt, 150 watt =170watt + a air pump, max 3 amp.....and your puttin in a 32amp supply....right then..... :LOL:
think you would be better with a 6amp personly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back