Bathroom zone 2 (above a shower cubicle)

Sponsored Links
Actually, I think you'll find it was I, in post #2:
On diagram A zone 2 stops level with the top of the shower cubicle.
No, it stops 225cm above the floor.
;)
The interesting (and potentially confusing) thing about Diagram A is that it appears to indicate that the top of the shower cubicle is at 225cm above floor level - in which case I guess that both of you are right (apart, I suppose, from your "No").

Kind Regards, John

Zone 2 stops at 225cm AFL.

The shower cubicle stops at 225cm AFL. This is a coincidence.

Where Zone 2 stops has absolutely nothing to do with where the shower cubicle stops.

Zone 2 stops at 225cm AFL. ... The shower cubicle stops at 225cm AFL. This is a coincidence. ... Where Zone 2 stops has absolutely nothing to do with where the shower cubicle stops.
I obviously understand all that - but, because of that 'co-incidence', one can't tell from the diagram whether it is saying that Zone 2 stops at 225cm or at the top of the shower cubicle!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed.

Which is why I said "No, it stops 225cm above the floor" to "On diagram A zone 2 stops level with the top of the shower cubicle."

...and in diagram B,

assuming the door is at the front, which is not shown, neither of the side walls (nor the top) is zone 2.

Anyone got a copy of 15th?! ... it presumably must have originated somewhere!

The 15th was not laid out like the 16th. there was no separate Chapter for special locations. Indeed, there were no zonal diagrams. Instead, provisions for bathrooms were listed in Chapter 47, Application of Protective Measures for Safety, under Section 471 - Protection against electric shock. Note the regs suggest livestock may be present in the bathroom...!

Last edited:
AFAIR, the "sink zone" was invented by a lighting manufacturer's association.

There are no measurements as such. But the gist of the 15th regs regarding the bathroom was "out of arm's reach".

SELV was OK within arm's reach as long as the source is out of arm's reach of a person using the bath or shower.

Every switch inaccessible to a person using the bath or shower, except shaver sockets, insulating cords of pull cord switches or controls of instantaneous water heaters to 3456.

No electrical equipment to be mounted inside the tub.

No stationary appliance having heating elements which can be touched shall be installed within reach of a person using the bath or shower.

Any light fitting within 2.5m of the bath or shower either had to be enclosed in insulating material or be an enclosed fitting. One popular method of compliance was to use a standard fitting (sometimes a batten lampholder but often a standard pendant) with a Home Office skirt.

FWIW, the 14th regs were almost identical.

Last edited:
AFAIR, the "sink zone" was invented by a lighting manufacturer's association.
Thanks for the info on 15th ed (and 14th ed).

That's very interesting, and odd. Since it is now clear that the 'sink zone' didn't come from the regs, I suppose it must have arisen in some fashion such as you suggest - but is seems amazing that belief in it has persisted to such an extent and for so long, despite regs which, for very many years, have been very explicit and clear about definitions of the bathroom zones!

Kind Regards, John

Since it is now clear that the 'sink zone' didn't come from the regs, I suppose it must have arisen in some fashion such as you suggest - but is seems amazing that belief in it has persisted to such an extent and for so long, despite regs which, for very many years, have been very explicit and clear about definitions of the bathroom zones!
Lots of people have, for very many years, persistently disregarded all sorts of very explicit and clear regulations because they prefer to believe in, and perpetuate, mistakes and guidance and interpretations originally created by someone who decided to ignore very explicit and clear regulations.

Well, in the case of the "sink zone regs", could it be the lighting manufacturers got together and decided it would be a good way to make more money?

How would a Zone limiting people's ability to put lights where nobody would want to put them make more money?

You assume no one wants to put lights there.

From memory, when the lighting manufacturer's association dreamt this up, it was trendy to have lights over/ either side of the sink, along with a mirror, or doing make up, shaving etc...

Indeed, I still see it done today.

To be fit for installation in Z2, fittings have to have certain design criteria, which makes them more expensive than fittings designed for outside the zones.

Thus, by inventing this Z2, the lighting manufacturers made more money.

That close to the basin?

screenshot_686.jpg

I'm unconvinced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back