Why is the area adjacent to a shower cubicle zone 2?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an academic question; I am not actually intending to do any electrical work in my bathroom.

As I understand it, bathroom zone 2 extends out 60cm horizontally from the boundary of the shower tray. There are restrictions on what can be used in zone 2, largely that they must be IPx4 or above to prevent risks from directly sprayed water.

I have a corner shower tray, 1600 x 900, with a glass cubicle surround on the two sides that do not back on to the tiled wall. The door is along the longer edge.

I cannot for the life of me see the ‘zone 2’ risk associated with the wall adjacent to the shorter side? As there is a fixed glass cubicle wall, there is no particular risk of direct splashing – like there would be, for example, if I had a shower curtain. Yes, I could construe to arc the shower nozzle over the top of the cubicle and hit it, but to be honest all locations in the bathroom are at risk that way if I try hard enough.

Likewise, with the shower door along the long edge, there’s no undue risk of wet hands reaching out to fiddle with whatever I put there – again, no higher risk than anywhere else in the bathroom. To get there, you’d have to step out of the bathroom cubicle.

Therefore, I fail to see why this is zone 2 and not just unzoned (ex zone 3 in old money), as I cannot see what additional risks there are?

As I started by saying, this is an academic question which arises from a debate down the pub. My bathroom is nicely decorated, thank you, and I’ve got no wish to fiddle about with it …

Sponsored Links
It's doesn't.

Note zone 3 no longer applies.

upload_2017-9-30_18-6-32.png

Thanks EFLI. Am I correct that you are suggesting that the area is outside of zone 2 because the glass cubicle wall is treated in the same way as a partition wall?

If so, interesting - almost every online bathroom store out there merrily has a picture showing zone 2 extending beyond the glass cubicle for 60cm, without any sort of caveat or exception ...

Anyway, once again, thanks for the reply.

Thanks EFLI. Am I correct that you are suggesting that the area is outside of zone 2 because the glass cubicle wall is treated in the same way as a partition wall?
Would not logic say that a partition wall is a partition wall, regardless of what material it is made out of?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, a partition wall made of - say - punched metal sheet (as found in them there trendy loft conversions, so they tell me) would be a partition wall, yes, but would be quite a lot more leaky than one made of bricks or glass ...

But, I'm not objecting to the answer; just surprised by how many websites happily draw zone 2 to be 60cm outside of any shower cubicle.

It' how far you can reach when standing in the shower - so 600mm. radius from the corner of the partition (inner corner if it is of any thickness).

Well, a partition wall made of - say - punched metal sheet (as found in them there trendy loft conversions, so they tell me) would be a partition wall, yes, but would be quite a lot more leaky than one made of bricks or glass ...
I don't think that even 'leaky' would matter (although probably not very sensible next to a shower!) provided that, as EFLI has said, one could not get one's hand/arm through any holes in the partition.

Kind Regards, John

almost every online bathroom store out there merrily has a picture showing zone 2 extending beyond the glass cubicle for 60cm,
Most of them also believe there is a 60cm zone around the basin, or a zone 30cm radius from the basin tap. It's all total tripe copied from other incorrect sources without any checking or verification of the facts.

Lighting manufacturers invented that one, so they could sell expensive IP rated fittings for round the sink.

They should have a zone around the toilet too, you never know where wayward splash could end up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back