Bathroom zone 2 (above a shower cubicle)

Seems to me that if secure's theory could be proven then prosecutions should follow.

Sponsored Links
This is the Lighting Industry Association's latest PDF, showing their "sink zone 2":

https://www.downlights.co.uk/media/...ontaining-a-bath-or-shower-pdf-1376904504.pdf

Extract from PDF:

Sinks and wash basins The IET requirements do not make specific reference to wash basins or sinks. Installations must, however, be safe, therefore, it is recommended that similar precaution be taken when installing luminaires in the vicinity of wash basins. The LA view is that wash basins should be treated as Zone 1/2 (i.e. IPX4).

The LA view is that wash basins should be treated as Zone 1/2 (i.e. IPX4).

Does "LA" mean "Lighting Association" or "Local Authority"????

Not clear at all.

Last edited:
LA is Lighting Association.
They don't know what SELV means.
The zone diagrams are their own opinions of what should be done, not the actual regulations.

Sinks and wash basins The IET requirements do not make specific reference to wash basins or sinks. Installations must, however, be safe, therefore, it is recommended that similar precaution be taken when installing luminaires in the vicinity of wash basins. The LA view is that wash basins should be treated as Zone 1/2 (i.e. IPX4).
I must say that I personally have quite a lot of sympathy with that view - so that, if they didn't give the impression that they were talking about "BS7671 zones", I would be quite happy for them to make such 'recommendations'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
LA is Lighting Association.
They don't know what SELV means.
The zone diagrams are their own opinions of what should be done, not the actual regulations.

Thanks, flame.

Yes, I too chuckled at their attempt at defining SELV.

I always understood that they imposed their own interpretation on the zones, but what gets my goat is that the great general public are ignorant of what is ACTUAL regulation and what is "INTERPRETED" by various organisations. At the very least, I think they should be made aware of the distinction.

NICEIC are guilty of the same thing.

I must say that I personally have quite a lot of sympathy with that view - so that, if they didn't give the impression that they were talking about "BS7671 zones", I would be quite happy for them to make such 'recommendations'.
Their source document doesn't.

screenshot_690.jpg

The problem seems to be subsequent corruptions introduced by ignorami.

This is the Lighting Industry Association's latest PDF, showing their "sink zone 2":

https://www.downlights.co.uk/media/...ontaining-a-bath-or-shower-pdf-1376904504.pdf

Extract from PDF:

Here's another extract:

IP Ratings
The requirements make reference to ‘IP’ ratings. The abbreviation ‘IP’ stands for ‘Ingress Protection’ but is more commonly known as "Ingress Protection"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back