BAXI Bermuda problem....

take the burner out and give it a good wash, this sounds like there may be linting on the gauze inside.

Sponsored Links
Once again thanks for the replies (and a quick message to any of the contributors of the previous posts who seem to doubt my Gas fitting competence purely based on the way that I described the tests that I carried out, I would probably prefer if you just refrained from bothering to answer at all).It aint constructive and sometimes it is just plain rude. Honestly I despair sometimes at our trade no wonder people think plumbers/heating engineers are so up themselves, trust me boys it is a big wide world out there and the be all and end all of it is not whether a test is called by the correct nameI know it doesn't help when trying to help with a problem, but I didn't deserve the answers I got.(And that is also an apology for the people that were trying to help I guess that's what comes of working for yourself after a 13 hour day, I DIDN'T mean working pressure I meant burner pressure)
I bet the same load of "No lifers" hada nervous breakdown when the name was changed to a GAS TIGHTNESS TEST.
So for the people that were trying to help me on this I have found the following.
1... I repeated the GAS RATE test (Is that the right term) and it proved at 500 BTU's below it's setting.
2... I repeated the BURNER PRESSURE test on the Honeywell and it was steady at 11mb
3... I have repeated the FLUE FLOW TEST and it passed easily.
4... I have stripped out the BURNER and the injector was partially blocked so I cleaned it but to no avail, the outside of the burner is in a very discoloured and sooted state.
I think I am going to take a gamble and replace the burner as the flames were so big they were over the top of the H/E (that's a HEAT EXCHANGER to the anoraks). And as this is for a friend of mine they are prepared to take the gamble.
:rolleyes: And for the safety conscious of us all, it's OK i made the appliance safe before leaving the property. :rolleyes:
Any other constructive replies are ALWAYS appreciated and I would like to apologise to the genuine posters here for my small rant, but I am sure you all know where I am coming from.And for the others... Please get a life.

stulew said:
a quick message to any of the contributors of the previous posts who seem to doubt my Gas fitting competence purely based on the way that I described the tests that I carried out, I would probably prefer if you just refrained from bothering to answer at all).It aint constructive and sometimes it is just plain rude. Honestly I despair sometimes at our trade no wonder people think plumbers/heating engineers are so up themselves, trust me boys it is a big wide world out there and the be all and end all of it is not whether a test is called by the correct nameI know it doesn't help when trying to help with a problem, but I didn't deserve the answers I got
I presume you mean me. You're right, I should get a life. But nit-picking on the internet is so much easier.....as you say, it's a big wide world out there, so don't lose any sleep over it - it ain't worth it.

Actually, my comments were meant to be constructive. We're all under pressure to get our working practices in line with industry standards, etc., and you have to admit your terminology was a bit ropey. Isn't it better to be criticised by a fellow installer than a Corgi inspector? Anyway, my apologies, it wasn't meant to be personal.

PS. with regard to the burners, I think you might have missed a point made by one or two posters. Below the burner ports is a wire gauze which can be get clogged with dust. It can be removed by opening the end of the burner, but it's easier to wash through it as was suggested. That might solve the problem.

Chris.. I wasn't having a personal pop at you so i don't need an apology (but I appreciate your reply).It also wasn't just a comment about peoples replies to my post it was a general comment on other posts that I have read.And as much as I appreciate that the people that post and offer advice do not get paid for it, and it is nice that people are prepared to help others out for free but I just feel that sometimes people would be better advised to just shut up. People that ask for advice are not always heating engineers or plumbers or even gas men and some of the people needing help may even do less meaningful work like Nurses, Soldiers or Firemen, all I am saying is a forum like this should be a place that normal people can ask a question without fear of being intimidated by a "No it all plumber"
You are right about all the new stuff that is being continually loaded onto us all though and it is hard to keep right up to date with everything, maybe I should just go on holiday and forget work for a couple of weeks. Haha.

Sponsored Links
I could use a holiday too. Did you notice the edit I added to my previous post? Hope it helps.

None of us knows-it-all, and I find forums like this very useful for testing and improving my knowledge. There was a time, not so long ago, when I too was confused about standing and working pressures, amongst other things. If (when) I get things wrong, you can be pretty confident that someone on the forum will draw attention to it (there's a few who would jump at the chance). Embarrassing when it happens but a damn good way of learning.

totally agree I have been doing this for twenty years and love what I pick up from this site

you never can or will know it all i say

1... I repeated the GAS RATE test (Is that the right term) and it proved at 500 BTU's below it's setting.

Could you explain that pls.

I would have expected you to say that the gas consumption was expressed as a difference in cubic feet [or metres] between the reading on the meter over a given time against the consumption given on the data plate over a given time for a given output.
For you to come back with a figure in btu's rather than cubic feet or metres per hour suggests either that you have forgotten how to check a gas rate or you went OTT with the maths and threw calorific values into the equation.

kevplumb said:
corgiman said:
totally agree I have been doing this for twenty years and love what I pick up from this site

you never can or will know it all i say

gonna stop teaching you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Oh u cheeky get!!!!!!!!!!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Gents....
Replaced burner and everything is as it should be. I appreciate all your help.

easyiest way to gas rate is 3600 devided by how ,many seconds it takes the needle on the gas meter to do a full revolution say 72 then times it by 1034 and then devide it by 3412 whick is 15.2kw

if boiler is gross devide by 1.11

B.O.B Dunce said:
easyiest way to gas rate is.............
Easiest? That's three calculations!

What about dividing 1097.7 by the number of seconds for 1 cubic foot to be burnt = gross output in kW. Just one calculation - easy peasy.

chrishutt said:
B.O.B Dunce said:
easyiest way to gas rate is.............
Easiest? That's three calculations!

What about dividing 1097.7 by the number of seconds for 1 cubic foot to be burnt = gross output in kW. Just one calculation - easy peasy.

here we go again chrishitt 1097.7 is wrong anyway the true calc is 1090.9
so your calc is wrong, you dimwit .......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back