'Best' Boiler ?

Hi folks

I have a Potterton Suprima 40 with the ignition faults these boilers seem to suffer from. So rather than throw good money after a bad product it will probably get replaced.

My questions is which make/brand of boiler is the 'best' eg, recomended or to be trusted/reliable in your experiences? I know only condensing boilers are availible and many people have tales to tell on these.

Thanks your your input.

I think WB are one of the best ,I have fitted hundreds over the years and i have one in my house. As long as it is fitted correctly it will last you a long time.

Sponsored Links
... If it wasn't the OP's question wouldn't be asked so many times a day on so many forums by so many people. ...
That is a complete non sequitur. I get many people asking what temperature to set the roomstat to, does that mean roomstats don't exist, or temperature can't be changed?

I don't understand your point. My point is that boiler quality is often asked about because they're perceived by more punters as unreliable. The installers in many cases are the same ones there's been for decades as this is hardly a trade that attracts youth. Manufacturers demand higher standards because their appliances are less up to the rigours of an existing heating system in the UK. Indeed poor installation is also blamed for fans, gas valves, PCB's, motors, switches, stats etc that aren't even in contact with water. As for condensate, the only material capable of handling it is 316 stainless which none of them seem to use.

I... don't understand your point. My point is that boiler quality is often asked about because they're perceived by more punters as unreliable...

My point is simple. The above statement is a textbook example of a circular argument; I know the quality is bad; if it was good, there would not be so many people that are worried about it.

England lives by the motto: "We've always done it this way."

One of the results is that when we got the "new" condensing boilers gaining in the market, a large amount of people found all sorts of "evidence" that steamers were less good than "normal" ones.

Just before b-rated became a compulsory minimum, lots of "experts" were all too happy to tell you that steamers would only last 5 years.

This got a lot of people worried, and thus related questions are often asked. The fact that they often get asked, does by no means prove that the quality of the product is an issue.

A quality steamer, installed and maintained as per spec, can easily last 20 years. Add to that the change in use from 3 hours a day to 10 hours a day, and the lifespan expressed in hours that the boiler is on, is actually twice as much as conventional boilers.

Sponsored Links
can't say i would get rid of a suprima for a condensing boiler myself. the suprima is simplicity itself, most condensing boilers are not.

+1 Keep the suprima. Probably another 10yrs in it yet.

I took a 2 year old one out of mine .Why would you say to keep it ?

cos there's nowt wrong with it. Reliable boiler...once you've changed the pcb of course ;) cast iron heat exchanger is good for 20yrs.

A quality steamer, installed and maintained as per spec, can easily last 20 years.

On the other hand it might be beyond economical repair in 5. The UK is used to boilers lasting 20 years, however installed, with little or no maintenance and hardly any parts. Not that this good for the trade but it's what you're up against when confronted by the unhappy punter shortly into the life of the new boiler after you gave them the hard sell about changing the old one.

i hate this type of thread, no disrespect to you OP. Everyone ends up arguing!..hey ho!

I'd say worcester Bosch, thats all i fit! 3% failure rate over 5 years!

The fitting of your boiler is important! run the condensate inside if at all possible! fit a trace heating element if not, make sure the system is cleaned well! Get a 5 year warranty!

A quality steamer, installed and maintained as per spec, can easily last 20 years.

On the other hand it might be beyond economical repair in 5. ...
On the other hand, doomsday may come tomorrow, the house could go up in flames due to an terrorist attack, or... any other nonsense.

Give me one example of a good quality boiler that was installed and maintained to spec that went tits up after 5 years.
Assuming you won't be able to, make it 10 years. Not hearsay, your own experience.

Give me one example of a good quality boiler that was installed and maintained to spec that went tits up after 5 years.
Assuming you won't be able to, make it 10 years. Not hearsay, your own experience.

3 x Vaillant Giannonis, one of which was my install, pinholed on combustion (condensate side) both others less than 3 years old. I x Gledhill main HE write off in 4 years. 1 x Vokera recuperator (not sure age) plus various Eclipse models. 1 x Aquaflame oil fired condensing unit less than 2 years old. Keston (can't remember model) HE coil leak.

I did ask for examples of quality boilers, which possibly leaves the 3 Vaillants, though don't say which model.
Why were they a write off? How do you know they were installed and maintained to spec?

There have been several Vaillants which had design flaws; a wanting design means it is NOT a quality product.

On the other hand, doomsday may come tomorrow, the house could go up in flames due to an terrorist attack, or... any other nonsense.

What does that prove? Ok have it your way. Your aluminium WB c/w plastic hyroblocs, rubber o-rings, elastic bands, premix varispeed fans, zero govenor gas valves, pcb's, software etc, properly installed and maintained will outlast any Mexico, Kingfisher, Classic, Vaillant VC or VCW. It'll not break down as often and in the almost impossible event it did parts and labour will be as cheap as chips.

I did ask for examples of quality boilers, which possibly leaves the 3 Vaillants, though I am not familiar with the model you mentioned.

The Giannoni is not a model it's the name of their heat exchanger.

Yes, a quick google brought up straight away that it was a bad design with known problems; I have edited my post accordingly.
The reason this hex was ditched, is that this specific model frequently got blocked and then failed as a result. It is also known that this problem specifically happened on dirty systems.
Which means a: not a quality product, and b: not installed to spec.

I did ask for examples of quality boilers

They're all industry recognised names...
Keston, Ideal and Ravenheat are all industry recognised names. The Logic is too new to judge, and apart from that one, the industry as you call it is pretty much of the opinion that Ideal have not made a decent boiler since the Classic.

Keston? Say no more. If that meets your standards for a quality product, I hope for your customers' sakes that your standards for "a good install" are significantly higher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back