Best Brand Boilers

Can't see any reason you would have to replace your rads. I just always tell customers that they can keep their rads but as the system has to be powerflushed at the end for commissioning they may run a minute risk of a rad developing a pin hole, in which case that rad will have to be replaced but that is not included in the quote.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply G4Y (possibly not the best way to write your name :))

I'm happy to leave the rads in, and if one or two needs replaced, it's a damn site cheaper than replacing all 11!

So really it's down to the plastic pipe issue. As I mentioned earlier, whoever did the ground floor put in plastic pipework, and didn't tag it to the underside of the floor (wooden floor with scrawl space underneath) and when I moved in most of the pipework was just lying on the open soil, which to me is a massive freezing risk.

I've lagged what I can with that foam pipe lagging, but there is still lots of excess pipework under the floor. I am concerned that, after what the second quote said, that leaving the plastic pipework the way it is, will cause me problems. However, you all seem to think that plastic is fine..... so now I don't know what to do. I can afford the first quote, if I don't take the radiators, which I'm quite happy with, however, if in doing so I leave the plastic pipework the way it is, will I just give myself problems!?!

Damn it why do I have to think so much?

What make of plastic pipe is it? If it is still current I would cut out the excess, join with new joints and insulate what is left after clipping properly.

I think that you have been 'scared' into having extra work done :eek:

Sponsored Links
Penpusher, it wasn't any your list :)

However, what I should mention, just to see your reaction is this.....

I checked the second (plastic pipe hater) quoters CORGI number today, and got a different company name, with a different address, but in the same town. So I called the company and asked for an explanation. They said that they were simply changing premises and company name. Me being me (you all know I need as much info as possible) did a wee Google on the company name (the CORGI one) and address, and lo and behold, according to the Edinburgh Gazette someone was called in to help liquidate the company that the CORGI number was registered with, on, wait it, the 10th August.....

Me being me called the guy back and asked him to explain. He said that the company listed in the CORGI registration is the maintenance division of their company, and is certainly not in liquidation. I emailed him the link and haven't heard back since.....

As for the pipe, no idea of age, but it says down the side of all the pipe:

7Bar/82C KOMO CV KIWA PB 70C/1MP POLSKA INSTAL AT/98-01-00477 EMI A-825 if that's any help :)

For those of you with enough will power to continue to read this thing.... :)

Got a call back from the "interesting" firm. They did indeed liquidate the old firm as they wished to change name. No idea whether that is indeed the practice for companies to liquidate to change name..

Either way, I got to speak to one of their other technical guys, who explained the plastic pipe situation much better.

Basically, as you guys said here, there's nothing wrong with plastic pipe if it's of the barrier type. If I can find out if it's barrier piping then I'll be fine.

However, he did point out that it simply won't last as long as copper, which seems fair enough, and he went as far as to say that no merchant selling plastic barrier pipe will give you a guarantee on the lifespan of the barrier, nor will the manufacturers... whether that's true or not I don't know, but hey.

So it would seem that if I can find out if it's barrier pipe, then I'm ok, and I'll have saved myself a bit of money (hopefully short and long term).

Strange comments that. J G Speedfit guarantee theirs for 25 years and Hep2o is 50 years I believe!

Whether they would pay out in year 49 is anyones guess :rolleyes:

Try that one again... X in this case does very much not mark the spot!

Bear in mind I am off for me bath; and they are accompanied by an incredibly stiff G & lessT.

:rolleyes: :confused:

Perhaps the Martians are blocking my preferred sensory powers.
;) ;) ;)

Dan_Robinson said:
Try that one again... X in this case does very much not mark the spot!

Bear in mind I am off for me bath; and they are accompanied by an incredibly stiff G & lessT.

:rolleyes: :confused:

Perhaps the Martians are blocking my preferred sensory powers.
;) ;) ;)

Too damn quick! As soon as I posted that and saw the error, I edited and reposted with links....

Right, you have Hep2o fittings, and either Hep or Polypipe.

Unfortunately they did both barrier and non barrier pipe. Perhaps emailing the manufacturers with the details you posted above will shed more light on it for you.

It is very important you establish this before proceeding.

7Bar/82C KOMO CV KIWA PB 70C/1MP POLSKA INSTAL AT/98-01-00477 EMI A-825

I would think this pipe is fine, but it is a guess!!!

7Bar/82C = pressure and temperature capacity.

PB - ?Pex Barrier?

98-01-00477 - ?manufacture batch date/code?

POLSKA INSTAL - perhaps that is just tooooooooooooooooooooooo easy ;)

I was advised to try and see a cross section of one of the pipes and see if I can see the barrier, it should be clearly a different colour from the rest.

I'm sure I'm missing the joke, but Polska Instal? Sorry, it's been a long week

I think it means that its what the Polish plumbers should instal !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back