BG - can you work for them around your kids?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've been a qualified (female) gas fitter for a few years now. After much 'badgering' my dad took me on as an apprentice. I've been interested in the BG jobs but dont know if the company has any 'child friendly' policies. I have 2 young children at school and can fit my daily workload around taking them to school, and a couple of days a week picking them up. I then make the time up by sometimes working later and some sat working. It does help being the bosses daughter ;) . But a couple of the guys are also now doing the same and productivity is up and sickness down :D

I've been told that i would have to give this all up if i went for a BG job as you have to work a strict rota with limited flexibility.

I know there are quite a few BG guys on here who may be able to confirm or deny these 'rumours'.

PS: Would have posted this in combustion chamber but still waiting my confirmation email.

Many thanks

Jessica.

Sponsored Links
I'm awaiting start date as a contractor

But when I collected my van was told "not to pick the kids up from school"

Doesn't bode well.

I wouldn't use the company van for either dropping off or for 1 or 2 days a week picking up. I dont think that would be allowed and would be seen as using the van for personal use?

Just need to know if i can take them first then go to work ( i only live 5 mins from their school). 1 day pick them up - wait for dad to come home then maybe back onto jobs to make that time up. Not too much to ask for is it :(

I would have thought a company as large as BG would have such practical working policies in place.

They do have a family friendly policy in place in relation to working hours but it isn't widely used and is down to tsm / managers to impement if they can be bothered. Don't make too big a deal of it and ask at the interview.

Sponsored Links
Stay away!!! or be prepared to splash out more cash on childcare.

You'll have to work as and when they say. Probably explains why they don't have that many female engineers.

Stay with your dad, his company may be small but it seems to be more forward thinking :D

I'd also be wary of this current recruitment drive. Aren't they just filling in prep for winter so come late spring you'll be surplus to requirements....and looking for another job.. :rolleyes:

Yeah as a new starter i cant see any of the guys who for the past 13 years have put up with the sh#te shifts of working till 9 at night saturdays sundays . Working out of there home area and doing a hundred miles a day travel, complaining because somebody wants to come in and work the hours they want so they can pick there kids up.
60% of the work force must have kids so working the hours and shifts that the company wants is the sacrifice for the good pay and benefits that come with the hassle.

;) ;) I would never think anyone would do that olski its a bit like putting a recheck in everyday so you can get to the cafe

Looks like i wont get any flexibility then. Just wanted to be able to drop my kids off before 9am without having to lie or sneak around.

Shame -- the company can stay a dinosaur then and look what happened to them.

Jess

Stay away!!! or be prepared to splash out more cash on childcare.

why?

You'll have to work as and when they say. Probably explains why they don't have that many female engineers.

no you dont. whats your source for that? did you just make it up? ill be willing to money on them having a higher percentage if female industrial staff than most companies in similar sectors.

I'd also be wary of this current recruitment drive. Aren't they just filling in prep for winter so come late spring you'll be surplus to requirements....and looking for another job..

again, whats your source for that? although they do do far more work in the winter than summer they are losing engineers at such rate on a voluntary basis that i doubt you would get booted in the summer.

the facts are.....

as namsag has said you will need to get the right tsm/manager to ok it. some might not be bothered.

i disagree with the idea that guys who have been working 13 years blah blah blah will be at all bothered about your shifts.....its none of their bloody business anyway.
BG actually like people who are prepared to do unusual shifts. there is a local guy here who starts early everyday so he can get home for his kids. there is also a female single mum who is part time, i believe she drops off and picks up her kid, or at least used to.

the downsides are that unless you are doing servicing only you will be expected to do your share of the rota for weekends and on-call etc. probably no way of getting round that if you want to do repairs and not servicing only.

as ollski says its rarely implemented cos no one asks for it. theres no harm in asking is there?

Thanks Nickso,

At last honest answers that i needed to hear :D

I've been doing all the repair work for my dad and that what i want to do with BG. I also dont mind working unusual hours, eves, and also at weekends. But I just want to be able to take my kids to school

I've got the interview next week.

Although this is based on no fact at all, I would imagine that BG would have encouraged and made an effort to retain female engineers... A fair number of customers will be female, and I'm sure that there would be a proportion of them who would feel more comfortable with an other female in their home rather than a male..

Nickso . So you would be perfectly happy if say you had to be out of town everday with associated travel etc so that a female engineer could stay close to home so she could pick up her kids when she has a husband and family around and in a good enough job to afford child care.
Only time we ever agreed to that was when one of our guys lost his wife and he had a kid of around 7. Which is a completly different scenario. And no one had any objections at all and helped this guy for several years till he got back on his feet.

Although this is based on no fact at all, I would imagine that BG would have encouraged and made an effort to retain female engineers... A fair number of customers will be female, and I'm sure that there would be a proportion of them who would feel more comfortable with an other female in their home rather than a male..

the female engineer was very popular last time i heard.

Nickso . So you would be perfectly happy if say you had to be out of town everday with associated travel etc so that a female engineer could stay close to home so she could pick up her kids when she has a husband and family around and in a good enough job to afford child care.
Only time we ever agreed to that was when one of our guys lost his wife and he had a kid of around 7. Which is a completly different scenario. And no one had any objections at all and helped this guy for several years till he got back on his feet.

namsag, dont take offence as i see what you are saying.

in my area i doubt it would make much difference and the OP doesnt have to stay that close to the school. i agree it could make it difficult in some areas with a smaller workforce perhaps but thats up to the management and the OP. i personally couldn't give a toss about anyone elses arrangements. if i have to drive 4 hours to my first job im happy as i'd rather be driving than working anyway. :LOL: the ones who chase performance money wont be quite so happy about it i suppose but if they want a similar arrangement then they should ask. after all if you are doing reduced hours you will be getting less pay, its calculated on a sliding scale.

i dont think anyone here has any problem with any of the people working strange shifts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back