BG - can you work for them around your kids?

What they basically did is introduced a new work measuremnet scheme which is heavily biased toward sales and leads and subsequently introduce a low performace process which aims to get your productivity up and if it fails it takes you down the dismissal route. Trouble is bg couldn't measure a 12" ruler. Same bs as it always has been but with an infinitely more clueless management.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear.... :( :cry:

Reading about the company has really put me off.

Seems as if engineers are not valued. Looks like its become about performance, meeting high targets, and selling.

If u don't do these things then seems BG will take you through its dismissal policy.....and i dont want to be given my cards after 6 months :evil: .

I thought i could join a company which would spend some time using all that experience to train me to become a damn good engineer. I would then do a decent job = happy self and customers. Pass my experience on to the next person.....

Seriously now thinking of staying where i am.

Jess

Seems as if engineers are not valued. Looks like its become about performance, meeting high targets, and selling.

Welcome to the big, bad world of corporate business. :rolleyes:

Stay away!!! or be prepared to splash out more cash on childcare.

why?

You'll have to work as and when they say. Probably explains why they don't have that many female engineers.

no you dont. whats your source for that? did you just make it up? ill be willing to money on them having a higher percentage if female industrial staff than most companies in similar sectors.

I'd also be wary of this current recruitment drive. Aren't they just filling in prep for winter so come late spring you'll be surplus to requirements....and looking for another job..

again, whats your source for that? although they do do far more work in the winter than summer they are losing engineers at such rate on a voluntary basis that i doubt you would get booted in the summer.

Well Nickso.

Doesn't look like the OP has received any good reasons to join BG.

I recently turned a BG job down for all the reasons that are being stated here. Mainly a company that will drop you in at the deep end and if you don't perform or meet the targets will spit you out again ...

I'll stay subbing for them and pick my hours and jobs. :D

Sponsored Links
Why would somebody who subbied for BG with the inside knowledge even apply for a permenant job.
I know if i was earning around a grand a week for about 34/ 36 hours a week i would not be applying for the full time job and all associated hassles

There are good sides aswell, but the op had already outlined those.

tbh its pretty easy to top 40k, pension, share schemes, free training, no running costs, not much out of hours work, promotion opportunities, paid holiday, paid sickness, good bonuses available, free nights out, backup, colleagues, computers, phones etc, etc

The company is still very much who you know and if your face fits as to wheather you climb the ladder into Management, which probably accounts for the state of it, but as soon as they get the hang of it they always have a reshuffle so things are always changing.

Also the current mindset of most guys (and girls) when getting towards the 'process' is "who cares?", there is at least one other national company offering an exact duplicate of the homecare service.

Company ran so much better when all the promotions where from the ground up .Started going to fek when university graduate who don`t have a clue in the real world started to get fast tracked.

Why would somebody who subbied for BG with the inside knowledge even apply for a permenant job.
I know if i was earning around a grand a week for about 34/ 36 hours a week i would not be applying for the full time job and all associated hassles

A moment of madness :eek:

I'm all right now :LOL:

Ha ha yeah it happens to us all occasionly i remember waking up in a sweat once when i dreamt i had gone back.
But at around £23 a service and ten a day its good money for only a bit of deisel and van wear

Nickso are you sure your not me in a previous life. :LOL: :LOL:
Do your job do it properly and say go on sack me, i dare you

Oh and dont expect the union to back you as the higher they get the deeper into management pockets they fall :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

namsag you dont need to tell me about the union, those lads are so used to their brown envelopes at the the end of the month im surprised some of the pay and conditions talks take as long as they do. guess they have good cakes at those meetings.

What they basically did is introduced a new work measuremnet scheme which is heavily biased toward sales and leads and subsequently introduce a low performace process which aims to get your productivity up and if it fails it takes you down the dismissal route. Trouble is bg couldn't measure a 12" ruler. Same bs as it always has been but with an infinitely more clueless management.

ive been on that nonsense for almost a year. i doubt ill get the boot, they are so much in the hole in this area they couldnt afford to lose even the laziest engineer. even if they did its not exactly hard to find a job in this industry.

Stay away!!! or be prepared to splash out more cash on childcare.

why?

You'll have to work as and when they say. Probably explains why they don't have that many female engineers.

no you dont. whats your source for that? did you just make it up? ill be willing to money on them having a higher percentage if female industrial staff than most companies in similar sectors.

I'd also be wary of this current recruitment drive. Aren't they just filling in prep for winter so come late spring you'll be surplus to requirements....and looking for another job..

again, whats your source for that? although they do do far more work in the winter than summer they are losing engineers at such rate on a voluntary basis that i doubt you would get booted in the summer.

Well Nickso.

Doesn't look like the OP has received any good reasons to join BG.

I recently turned a BG job down for all the reasons that are being stated here. Mainly a company that will drop you in at the deep end and if you don't perform or meet the targets will spit you out again ...

I'll stay subbing for them and pick my hours and jobs. :D

every job has its ups and downs, depends on your outlook. i find it a relatively easy job, decent basic pay, unlimited overtime if i want it.

if you keep to yourself its simple, when other people get involved it turns to ****. the trick is to make sure everyone knows you dont stand for it.

tbh its pretty easy to top 40k, pension, share schemes, free training, no running costs, not much out of hours work, promotion opportunities, paid holiday, paid sickness, good bonuses available, free nights out, backup, colleagues, computers, phones etc, etc

most of that means nothing. the phone, computer etc are merely tools to do the job, they are not bonuses or perks.

paid sickness may soon be stopped. pension is arguably the best in britain in this sector. out of hours is steadily increasing, doesnt bother me as im trying to shift my mortgage.

Also the current mindset of most guys (and girls) when getting towards the 'process' is "who cares?", there is at least one other national company offering an exact duplicate of the homecare service.

you need to read the terms and conditions of those other companies. no one else in britain is offering anything even close to BG's policy. t+c's for engineers is also far worse although their out of hours work is far better, i wonder for how long.

Company ran so much better when all the promotions where from the ground up .Started going to fek when university graduate who don`t have a clue in the real world started to get fast tracked.

a case in point being one manager is a politics graduate who couldnt answer straight question with a gun to his wifes head.

Well, i've completed the interviews and passed the assessment. Got a call and was offered a job.

Spoke to the local manager and asked about the core hours. My question " could i start a bit early, for example pick up parts needed for the day. Come back. Quickly drop kids off at 08:45 then start work. No need to worry about me finishing early as thats sorted. Don't mind on call or weekends. Plus kids have 3 months off as holiday per year which i can cover (husband, grandparents).

Him: lots of umming and arrhing. I'm not sure, it may cause problems with the other engineers. Needs to go to a meeting.

HOW MORE flexible can i be!!!!! This has really annoyed me and i'm strongly thinking of both turning the job down and also taking BG to task for poor family friendly work policies. I bet there are loads of engineers who start late and finish early without owning up. I put my cards on the table and it seems to have got me no-where :evil: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back