BG - can you work for them around your kids?

Thanks Nickso,

At last honest answers that i needed to hear :D

I've been doing all the repair work for my dad and that what i want to do with BG. I also dont mind working unusual hours, eves, and also at weekends. But I just want to be able to take my kids to school

I've got the interview next week.

you have to make it clear at the interview then. no point in wasting anyones time. good luck.

Sponsored Links
If you do make it clear at your interview, and they agree to it and you eventually do get offered the job, ensure that somewhere your childcare issues are mentioned in writing.
Otherwise if the manager changes you may soon find yourself up poo creek.

We've had several engineers do unusual work patterns to fit around childcre problems, it often helps the others as these odd patterns cover worktimes that would otherwise be rostered. All our local managers are pretty accomodating.

Sponsored Links
Crikey.. all this :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just want to drop the kids off at school at 08.50, walk back to the house (2mins) and start off for work at 09.00am. I'll work evenings and weekends as and when. And as early as anyone wants in school hols (which equates to 4 months of the year ).

Jess

Can just see the new starts saying why do the guys with over ten years service get 2 days more holidays than us surely thats not fair :cry:
I May seem hard onyou Jess but if you join a company you join on there rules if you worked in sainsburys would they allow you to leave the checkout to pick kids up.
I kid yous not i had to attend a meeting when one guy was adamant that he had to go to the toilet everyday at ten for a tom tyt and spent an hour on the pan(he was a big guy)

I've seen the company work around engineers that have been here for a few years, after all an engineer is seen as an investment and its always good for a company to take care of their investment.

But, i've never seen a new-start engineer have these priveleges straight away.

But then again, the company is very desperate for quality engineers at the moment so maybe there is a chance that they can bend the rules

Gasright a better way of saying it is the engineer is seen as a cash cow to generate millions in sales if they where looked on as an investment they would have done something to keep the thousands of engineers who left taking tens of thousans of years experience.
By having a work force with less experience and less highly trained when an engineer through no fault of his own says i can`t fix this you need a new boiler. He is not lying so the company makes the £200 3 star payment and the possible sale .
Where as in the past the experienced engineer would have spent time on it and fixed it and prob cost the company money for parts and lost them the profit on the sale.

Gasright a better way of saying it is the engineer is seen as a cash cow to generate millions in sales if they where looked on as an investment they would have done something to keep the thousands of engineers who left taking tens of thousans of years experience.
By having a work force with less experience and less highly trained when an engineer through no fault of his own says i can`t fix this you need a new boiler. He is not lying so the company makes the £200 3 star payment and the possible sale .
Where as in the past the experienced engineer would have spent time on it and fixed it and prob cost the company money for parts and lost them the profit on the sale.

agree with that, they stopped looking at the engineer as an investment they day they got rid off proper apprenticeships. while this allowed them to tap the market for more engineers more quickly it took away the basis for an experienced engineer to be made out of the process. as a new start you really do get thrown in at the deep end, it makes for a poor service for the customers a lot of the time too.

arguably the best engineer on my patch left last year after years of telling them to get their act together, i doubt anyone in management even blinked.

arguably the best engineer on my patch left last year after years of telling them to get their act together, i doubt anyone in management even blinked.

Management wouldn't have a clue who is a good engineer and who isn't, they only go off performance and sales figures which are either fiddled or fit in with the ever changing, skewed, clueless perception of what is good service.

Just about every target figure can be fiddled in one way or another. And as an engineer you can see it, but for some reason the half wits up above just cant see it.
We done a load of servicing and landlord certs for a local authority about a year before i left and as a result got a double job count, performance figures went through the roof obviously.
Our figures where getting banded about the country at meetings . If these guys can do it why can`t yous was the theme .
Untill it was brought up at a meeting i attended figures ripped apart by me and management made to look stupid and liars. Think i upset a few people that day. And funnily enough figures never used again.

Abit like the chargable job count that soared through the roof (thousands of jobs over 6 month period region wide) untill someone said lets see how much we have made .
Answer not a single penny.
The computer allowed chargeable job to be raised for a part only and if you said you fitted a part at less than a quid on 3star job it could not send an invoice as its not allowed by system. So engineer win wins customer knows nothing about it and management thought they where raking it in

Management wouldn't have a clue who is a good engineer and who isn't, they only go off performance and sales figures which are either fiddled or fit in with the ever changing, skewed, clueless perception of what is good service.

cant disagree with that. my performance is average, simply because i believe im paid to fix things and not to sell. i dont even sell COD's as the customer can get them cheaper by post from BG, i give them the number if they want it, im sure it drives my boss nuts.

namsag, most job codes are unavailable to raise now. you have to phone UCAD to get them raised, another reason my performance is poor, i can't be arsed phoning and raising extra jobs so just do everything on one job count.

Nickso are you sure your not me in a previous life. :LOL: :LOL:
Do your job do it properly and say go on sack me, i dare you

Oh and dont expect the union to back you as the higher they get the deeper into management pockets they fall :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And there employment laws that give you around a minimum of around 1 years salary for wrongful dismissal.
No one can legally sack you for doing your job properly its the law, simple and if they do then they must compensate you.
Trouble is your union is carp and because the membership is so split up and out of touch few people know how bad it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back