BG - can you work for them around your kids?

less covered? i'm not sure about that. contracts look very similar to me.

at least one of them doesnt even cover cylinders.

why must the big players have similar overheads to compete? better working practices and no "dead weight" such as massive pension plans, training centers, asc's, national parts center, etc etc

tell me exactly how they will be able to compete on that level with no service centres, no NPC, no staff training or pension incentive to keep staff.

eon are recruiting nationally and are good payers (poaching bg staff)

i know they tried to poach me. i wasnt impressed by their rates and i certainly wasnt impressed with the pension. a lot seem to be going to these simply because they are asking them to do less out of hours work. that will have to change if they want to compete with BG anyway so i dont see the benfit long term.

why would customers go back unless they receive poor service?

thats exactly what they are going to get. i was at a repair last week where the customer was leaving for another service, i asked why and they said because it was cheaper. i asked if they had checked the terms and conditions and they said they hadn't as they assumed it was similar. :rolleyes:

homeserve do next day part turnaround direct thru makers

i dont see that being terribly reliable but i could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
so you think bg npc will have better spares availability than the manufacturers themselves?

Cost is an important factor for customers (rightly or wrongly) and look at what happened to BT. (lost alot of market share and now there are countless phone line providers/broadband etc etc)

eon salary is far better than bg, less unsociable hours, and they are getting lots of applicants from bg (and others). pensions nowadays are seen as a luxury to many and not a nessecity. Most people are after a good basic wage.

so you think bg npc will have better spares availability than the manufacturers themselves?

no. i said i didnt see it being terribly reliable.

Cost is an important factor for customers (rightly or wrongly) and look at what happened to BT. (lost alot of market share and now there are countless phone line providers/broadband etc etc)

of course it is but if you are paying less for a poorer service its not really a fair comparison is it.

i have a feeling when phones were deregulated a lot left BT and then promptly returned when they realised it wasnt that great. there are companies providing good services now but i would say BT are still the market leader.

eon salary is far better than bg, less unsociable hours, and they are getting lots of applicants from bg (and others).

i must be getting confused with one of the other poachers then as i remember their complete package being less, especially now that BG are possibly giving 8.8% over two years backdated to this year.

pensions nowadays are seen as a luxury to many and not a nessecity. Most people are after a good basic wage.

more fool them. the days of final salary pensions are over but its still a necessity, there probably wont be much a of a state pension when i retire and im not really wanting to work full-time past 60odd.

Sponsored Links
There you go again thinking and not checking :oops:
From the book
Manufacturers of air bricks will normally specify the free area of the bricks in there litreture. Where it is not available,the gas operative should measure the dimensions etc etc etc

Louvered doors may be utilised providing that the total free area measured across the smallest dimension of the slots is not less than the total high and low level ventilation requirements of the appliance(s)

Quite a few louvre vents are less than 5mm so 'at risk'

Ollski thats basic . the question was is a louvre door ok which would be much the same as saying is an air vent ok .

The answer is YES providing it meets the minimum and the maximum reuirements

spares are VERY reliable at my firm,
the quality of the service is debatable (pro's and cons to both)
bt now have less market share than ever before,
does this 8.8% pay deal have conditions attached?
i still have a final salary pension :)

spares are VERY reliable at my firm,

glowworm or eon?

the quality of the service is debatable (pro's and cons to both)

maybe but dont tell me customers are paying less for more or even the same, i dont believe it in this case. i had a look through eon t+c's. not great.

bt now have less market share than ever before,

i dont know how much they have but they are still on top are they not?

does this 8.8% pay deal have conditions attached?

possibly. the sham vote hasn't been taken yet.

i still have a final salary pension

so do i and ill bet its better than yours. i wasnt clear, my point is very few places are offering a final salary pension to new starts.

i can't comment on eons t&c's as not looked closely at them but homerserve's cover isn't far off bg.
bt are still the biggest player in that sector largely due to the fact they OWN the network cables (and rent them to their competitors) -centrica do not own the gas distrubution network so not a wholly fair comparison,
i've seen an independant financial adviser regarding my old bg pension and new pension and both are very simialar according to him.

i can't comment on eons t&c's as not looked closely at them but homerserve's cover isn't far off bg.

ill have to have look sometime to see how far off then.

homerserve's

doh!

bt are still the biggest player in that sector largely due to the fact they OWN the network cables (and rent them to their competitors) -centrica do not own the gas distrubution network so not a wholly fair comparison,

thats a fair point.

i've seen an independant financial adviser regarding my old bg pension and new pension and both are very simialar according to him.

not knowing your pension its difficult to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back