Boiler casing holes non-repairable?

I dont need it to ask questions & make suggestions on an internet forum.

How come your not being as insulting to those suggesting using silicone?

Of course complete replacement is the obvious answer, but it need not be the entire boiler if the rest is OK, just the bit thats got holes in but the OP has not said if it is the combustion chamber, just the metalwork at the rear.

And what professionals advice? I can only see advice from other forum members as none of them have anything identifying them as professionals. I have something that identifies me as not being one. :D
I also see comments from other forum members that say silicone could be used. ;)

Sponsored Links
jesus h christ.

its simple. any modification to the case that is not sanctioned by the manufacturer is classed as AR. that includes the use of "silicone" to plug gaps.

Has he got indemnity insurance too? :D

What about if it was fully welded? would that still make it AR? :D

Has he got indemnity insurance too? :D

What about if it was fully welded? would that still make it AR? :D

:rolleyes: did you fail reading at school?

its simple. any modification to the case that is not sanctioned by the manufacturer is classed as AR. that includes the use of "silicone" to plug gaps

Sponsored Links
kabel, if nobody on here has heard of problems with this boiler there probably aren't any, however IF there is a hole in combustion chamber it cannot be "properly" repaired, therefore needs to be changed, even if some boilers can have the combustion box changed but it is simply not an economical repair due to the work required to get it out with no guarantee that there will be no other problems as the boiler is old.
if you do not trust the guy you could get someone else out to look at it but be prepared for either the same advice (or worse in my opinion) getting someone who will repair it for you, any way up it is a bodge, no matter how well it is repaired

Rob has the answer here! Seen it, and done the same.

Ive also has to rip out an untimate after 4 years due to a water leak rotting the top of the boiler.

Matty.... Tony might be harsh, but he is giving good advice. Do we really needs words like **** in here? Can you not explain a point without foul language?

I would prefer you not to to advise under the guise of an individual who dispenses all responsibility with his signature, and who has to try and resolve his argue with crass and foul words.

Paul

as i don't know the full extent of op problems but i believe i have a rough idea of wot he is trying to explain from the description given

wot happens when you come across a floorstanding boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger and the compound between the sections has fallen out :?:

you seal it with high temperature silicone thats wot i do it and so does every else

i still find it very hard to understand why people would classify such a repair to the op boiler or any boiler given that you or i were completely happy and that it was infact a successful and safe repair

cannot understand why certain people would be classifying this as AR

cya indeed but common sense also

Trouble is ,this is where the powers at B have taken over from common sense and what we all know works and leaves boilers in perfectly safe condition and in some cases sealed better than original spec.
But nobody is out there fighting for common sense because it costs money in lost sales

Thanks for all the replies....wasn’t really expecting as many......or an argument! :p

So for those that wanted pictures...

First 2 are of the left upper rear corner near where it attached to the wall. The 3rd is the right rear upper corner....harder to get a decent pic but it's pretty much the same as the other corner.
As you can see it’s not as the result of any leak it’s where the metal of the casing is bent over to join it together. It’s sort of like a crappy cardboard box that has holes left in the corners after it’s been put together.

So this is something I should be really concerned about? Not something I can leave....I have no idea just how long these holes have been there. What are the potential problems with this being left? As you can probably tell I have no understanding of these sorts of things......I’m a nurse lol (oh, and a female one to whoever called me fella! :p ). If someone could explain in simple terms what this all means I’ll love you forever........well, I’ll be grateful! :D

I think I just find it ridiculous that possible options for sorting this out would either render the boiler at risk again or put the person who did it at risk of being in breach of whatever regulations there are.....and that would include me if I tried to do it myself as I’m not obviously not registered for any work of this kind. Also does the above generally mean that I’m not that likely to get a professional in to fix it in any of those ways (except if replacing the whole damn thing)? I like the whack it back into shape bit, but am I really going to get someone in who’d be willing do that?

I agree that the firm carrying out the service seem to be looking for work if those of you in the know haven’t heard about this being a particular problem - although I’ve had them do my annual service for a few years at my last house and they’ve always been fine. Saying that, the guy who came did seem very young and was on the phone to his boss about it all a couple of times whilst doing the service. Maybe his boss was feeding him the lines?

Can I ask those of you who are professionals....if it was your boiler at home what would you be doing? (don’t worry if you don’t want to answer that)

The other thing I was thinking of....is this a design flaw or something that would be expected to occur? If it’s a design flaw does Glow-worm hold any responsibility? Is it worth contacting Glow-worm to see what they have to say specifically (I know someone suggested calling them in a general enquiry sense).

Wow, I’ve written an essay...sorry!

as stated i dont know the full in's and outs but one thinks that they are takin the pish:evil:

that will have been like that from the day it was manufactured

Looking at them there is absolutely nothing up this is how the case has been made, and it is perfecrly acceptable that you will even get small amounts of products escaping from there (its in the book).
But you have NO staining at all around them .
Would say you are being conned

Looking at them there is absolutely nothing up this is how the case has been made, and it is perfecrly acceptable that you will even get small amounts of products escaping from there (its in the book).
But you have NO staining at all around them .
Would say you are being conned

No staining? Is that a good thing? (in my line of work it is lol) Would staining indicate an escape of product then? (product being CO? or other stuff too?....god I really do no nothing lol)

So, to gaspro as well who said the same about being like that from manufacture, is it something that doesn't require fixing then? Or it still should be....a little confused now!

Sorry I have so many questions!

If the case was leaking fumes you would have heat staining marks around the holes and on the wall.
Products of combustion are CO2 and H2O when something goes wrong you will get CO.

In my opinion it does not need fixing as that is how they are when made

Thanks for explaining :)

Regarding the 'at risk' notification I was given......if it really isn't something that needs sorting out and was provided like that at manufacture, do I need to make the company who serviced the boiler rescind the notice? (is there some sort of database these notifications go into so all can see or is it just something they'd file in their records?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back