BRITISH GAS JOB REFUSAL!!!

cheers for the advice guys just called rig energy and awaiting a call back....
I wish I had seen this earlier and told you to contact direct. Rig don't pay as much as direct.
Re: The van; someone says any van will do- true but it must have a bulkhead seperating load from cab (unless changed
You get paid per appliance, so you can easily earn between 160 and 200 a day. It's not quick in and out either.

LeeB: Is it still about £18 per appliance? Including all overheads?
What area are you in? Do contractors still report to "normal" supervisor?

Any van will do as long as it's presentable and roadworthy.

When I worked for Saints and RIG it was £21 a completed service, and £41 a completed breakdown. They did retain something like 8% and then you'd get that back 28 days later if your recall rate was ok.

I'm in Wilts and Oxon. Contractors report to a Contractor Service Manager.

To be honest, the only interaction I had with BG lads when I was contracting was maybe at the collection point in the morning.

As a contractor you get a BG uniform, Field Terminal, Sprint analyser, a basic contractor van stock, and as mentioned a 1 week induction.

The benefit of going through an Agency is that they do all the billing for you, and they deal with the admin.

Sponsored Links
what would a typical BG service consist of??

Depends on the appliance and MI's. The Field Terminal is full of info, and a very very good bit of kit.

For instance, BBU & Fire is a full strip and clean, gas fires are full strip and clean ( check catchment etc ) . Modern condensing boilers are as MI's and British Gas Operational Procedures. Same with old OF/BF/RS appliances. Obviously check any ancillary equipment, rads, cylinders, F&E tanks, flue etc. Check co alarms if fitted. Then give appropriate safety and efficiency advise.

It's not difficult. Normally during your first couple of days on patch you'll shadow a BG Engineer to see first hand how things operate.

ive got an nvq2 in plumbing and heating plus my acs in all the domestic side of gas appliances....

i thought the sub contracting role was just for service/beakdown of heating systems...im quite confidient on the worl i carry out i cant see why theyd put a subby thru a nvq3 qnd i cnt see why tumble driers would come into it either i thought there more a white goods engineer job...
Your qualifications will be inputted into the system, and you'll only be allocated work that matches your skill set / ACS qualifications.

You'll only attend team briefs and won't receive any gas training. Support is there, and you will undergo Work In Progress Inspections, along with Post Inspections.

nice1 pal ....i havent done much back boilers but i guess they cnt be that hard to do....

Sponsored Links
I wish I had seen this earlier and told you to contact direct. Rig don't pay as much as direct.
Re: The van; someone says any van will do- true but it must have a bulkhead seperating load from cab (unless changed
You get paid per appliance, so you can easily earn between 160 and 200 a day. It's not quick in and out either.

When I worked for Saints and RIG it was £21 a completed service, and £41 a completed breakdown. They did retain something like 8% and then you'd get that back 28 days later if your recall rate was ok.

To be honest, the only interaction I had with BG lads when I was contracting was maybe at the collection point in the morning.

As a contractor you get a BG uniform, Field Terminal, Sprint analyser, a basic contractor van stock, and as mentioned a 1 week induction.

The benefit of going through an Agency is that they do all the billing for you, and they deal with the admin.

Thats interesting, and I am not oubting, because I phoned RIG, although they have now been taken over about a job advertised.

Lee, that is interesting, I don't doubt what you say, but I spoke to Rig about a cards in job they had on offer. That job (if it was really there!) had gone, and she asked me about contracting. Asked if it was bg and she said it was. I told her I was not interested because of prior experience. We had a chat, and she said it was £18 per app (IIRC), and she confirmed I would report to a "normal" supervisor. I told her the last guy didn't really get contracting, and she said she hears it all the time - that is some managers don't like Theycontractors. Will be interesting to see how Rookie gets on.
I still don't see how you can earn £200 a day on those rates, even before expenses, if you are doing a full strip on OF's and RS's to MI's (unless you get a lot of easy repairs). In fact, the BG SOP, 18 months ago, defo wasn't to MI's. I wish I had seen your post before, and I would have quizzed her about ypur other points - I defo had no retention on servicing. I never got to a collection point as they wanted me to use one about 24 miles away.!! Did ypu get mobile phone? I had to make so many calls to order parts, try to get extra work etc,that I always exceeded my inclusive minutes.

firemant:- i didnt really understand ur last post mate....about the £18 bit can you just explain it plz if u dnt mind???

also what did you mean abt managers not liking subbys??

and also it will be intresting seeing how i get on???

should i not bother going there firemant???

and also it will be intresting seeing how i get on???

should i not bother going there firemant???

No, I'm not saying that. In your position you need to give it a try. It seems to work better for some people than others, and i think it depends on the area and your supervisor/line manager. Thats why it will be interesting to see how you fare. Unless the work is grouped together, I would be surprised if you could consistently get over £200 per day. If you had gone to BG direct, you get a better rate by about 10%, and I got paid a LOT more for the one week course. The agency guys and the direct ones were seperated, to be told the finances. we were told not to discuss them in the hotel.

I'm a little confused over Lee's posts, as I KNOW that BG do not service boilers to MI's (unless a lot has changed) They call
it a "generic", and is basically case off to expose F&R from hex. Dust. FGA. Gas rate OR Bp. Controls (click) test). Visual in A/c. Visual on flue/supports. Determine and record efficiency bracket of boiler. Fill in paper form to hand to owner. Fill in laptop. OF's are supposed to be done to the book. Checking F&E's were not in the SOP. Neither is a tightness test.

Lee, the £18 is the fee paid by the agency per appliance. Whereas you mentioned £21. Which is more than they were paying direct contractors a year or so ago.That is why I thought you may be in London weighting. You speak of contractor managers, whereas the woman yesteray confirmed they are the same as the employed are supervised by. Bear in mind I did not have an in depth conversation, as I wasn't interested in doing the work.

just rang both rig and st personnells both daid they got nothing on BG sub for service/breakdown at mintue.....is there any place else i can try for BG subbing or should i just sit tight and wait???

thanks for the feed back by the way guys i feel as if im getting that very much closer.

Also HES are always looking. You can go in as a serviceguy or for more £££ subject to skill tests as a repair engineer.

Are HES the old EON?

If so, stay away, they haven't got a clue. That goes for the AA too.

If BG aren't taking Contractors at the moment then try someone who works Social Housing Contracts.

yeh cheers ile give them a try.....they way im feeling cnt get any worse so ile give them a try lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back