BRITISH GAS JOB REFUSAL!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm not being rude by any means, but do you think maybe the fact you don't know much about heating systems (s,y,w,c, plans ect) other than combi's ,might be the reason you didn't get the job? I would have thought a solid understanding of those systems and their wiring would be a prerequisite for BG.

As said there are some good courses out there such as honeywells ect to help you gain a better understanding of heating control systems.

I would have thought a solid understanding of those systems and their wiring would be a prerequisite for BG.
It is yes, bare minimum would be S+Y plans. I see more conventional systems than combi's on my patch.

To the OP, i would say your experiance so far is probably lacking for a technical engineer role. Repair work at BG can be a little savage at times in winter and you need to be confident in what your doing.
Look at doing a service role first, probably through an agency to start with. Build up experiance that way and start picking up a few breakdowns in your own time. Youll make mistakes and probably cost yourself time and/or money to start with but you will get there. Definately join up to the combustion chamber on here if you want better advice than you will get on the plumbing forum.

Bit of advise, from my personal experience, ref : BG application.

Check out Rig Energy, or Saints Personell. They recruit subbies for BG.

I joined the Gas Board in 85, left in 91. After various jobs I returned to the UK in 2010 and started sub contracting 5 days a week at BG. They binned all of us a year later when they started losing customers to chancers like EON, the AA etc.

I returned sub contracting in 2013, and heard through my SM there were perm positions available.

Because of my original BG background and my overall performance I got switched across no problems.

So if you are intent on BG then try the subbie route first. It'll mainly be ASV's, but if you keep your nose clean and are seen to be giving correct SEA then you'll have a chance. Saying that, you may enjoy it as a subbie,and want to stick at that.

I don't regret going back to BG. Yes, the politics can be annoying, but I just let that wash over me.

As for the 'selling' aspect. That's a load of bull. Because our products are now insurance based we have to be seen by the FCA to be giving advise to our customers on saving energy.

And as the LD/HU Engineer I've never carried out a PF if it's not required, even if it's been recommended. Always looked at the issues with my eyes. After all, selling PF's is what we get slated for. ;)

Sponsored Links
cheers for the advice guys just called rig energy and awaiting a call back....

whats a typical day like subbing for BG....

and also will i need to go to another interview with BG if i get offered the subbing role?

cheers for the advice guys just called rig energy and awaiting a call back....

whats a typical day like subbing for BG....

and also will i need to go to another interview with BG if i get offered the subbing role?
You'll have to do a technical assessment. I did mine online and then it progressed. If you get accepted you'll go on a contractor induction at one of the Academies.

I did ASV's and IB's so my day was varied. As your a newcomer you'll be doing ASV's primarily. You get paid per appliance, so you can easily earn between 160 and 200 a day. It's not quick in and out either.
We've all recently attended model ASV days, so the onus is on quality not quantity.
Any questions best ask for Lee Parr at Rig. Top bloke, known him for years, always looked after me.

whats an ASV ??

i recently got delcined a perm position with BG will they know this??

whats an ASV ??

i recently got delcined a perm position with BG will they know this??

I was a subbie, then went to the AA after they dumped all of us, went for a full time job back at BG and got knocked back. I then subbied again before I was taken on as permanent staff. So it shouldn't really make a difference to you.

The benefit of being a sub contractor first is that you get to experience first hand what BG are all about, and decide if it's what you are after.

They are quite selective when it comes to recruiting permanent staff. A year of contracting will give you more on job experience, and educate you to our way of doing things. And as a contractor you won't be affected by the bullshit and politics we sometimes encounter. If you perform well and keep your nose clean then it's all good for your future prospects.

what does a ASV consist of?? is it a full strip down?

just rang the agencies they said they will get back to me....

i didnt tell them i recently applied for a perm position and got knocked back dont no if that was un ethical of me....

just rang the agencies they said they will get back to me....

i didnt tell them i recently applied for a perm position and got knocked back dont no if that was un ethical of me....

You just follow BG's Operational Procedures regarding ASV's. Same as following SOP's and JSP's . It's not rocket science, it's all about safety. And doing a good job. Customers love it when the Hoover makes an appearance!! :)

That's a laugh :LOL:

Seen the Which? Report recently? Not that that rag has much credibility other than with the doughnuts that actually spend money on it.
Yes, and BG came out better than most.
We had an email from the head sheds last week about it.

Seriously, does anyone ever follow MI's to the letter when servicing?

If someone says they do, then I'm smelling something bovine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back