BRITISH GAS JOB REFUSAL!!!

I have a friend who was in the Army for about four years and I have to say he is nothing like you!

He is very polite and quiet and does not drink yet still keeps fit by 4 mile runs most days of the week.

Unfortunately as a very intelligent, but basic soldier, the opportunities for him were very limited. Because he was very good at what he did he was sent all over the world on various projects. Unfortunately he says that to get any uplift on his grade he needed to be under the same CO for at least 6 months which did not happen for him. He expected to do far better financially outside but he is still held back by a lack of trained skills and qualifications.

Listening to critical comments is an opportunity to learn and improve your performance in future.

Saying you "don't care less" about your grammar is certainly NOT the way to improve.

Sponsored Links
I don't think anyone has mentioned the CC? Dare I? I will offer some good advice, though I'm not sure I should bother. If you are qualified, sign up to the Combustion Chamber. Personally, I think the the technical quality of posts have gone down recently, but using the search facility is an excellent way of getting information and advice with fault finding etc.

I'm only bothering to reply to this thread due to my inherent respect for the armed forces.

Of which you didn't (as far as I remember) bother to mention being a part of before....

However we can only go by your posts here, your attitude and general demeanour.

You've asked for opinions. That is what you have received. As someone who is trained to have discipline, I wound expect to see some form of constructive reply. Not a pointless moan about how good you think you are.

You applied for a job, you didn't get it. Obviously, compared to the competition, you were deficient.

Judging by your responses to, well, not even criticism; I would say you have no hope of gaining employment with this type of attitude. Adjustment is needed. Whether you think you need it or not.

And before jumping on people's responses, perhaps you should try and absorb the information contained within them. Some of us are employers in the industry, we have the insight you are lacking.

As had been said several times, we have no reason to lie to you. However, equally, why should we blow smoke up your a7se for no reason?

I await a child like rant in reply. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
look im really sorry guys sometimes my emotions take over....i can take constructive critisism....i know i have posted a few silly responses but i dnt know how to delete them ...i really needed this job..in a sense i was relying on it but oh well....i appreciate all the help and advice u guys have give good or bad....i just felt as if i was having the pi55 taken out of me hence the reason i responded like a 10 year old....

once again guys i deeply apologise for my silly comment....i am not an arrogant or difficult person to deal with sometimes the posts actually sound like there not meant...

if we could all forgive and forget and genuinely help me out as to where i go from here id really be thankful....

as im out of employment and finding it difficult to make ends meet hence the reason for loosing my cool abit...

im genuinely a really nice person believe it or not..

The forces used to have a pretty good resettlement plan for those who completed their sign up periods.

Many used to get plumbing and gas training all paid for and assisted practical training. We don't see them much any more. But they were generally considered to be very punctual, polite and hard working!

My friend fitted a perfectly good bathroom for his mother but I would never have been able to feed him enough work as he wanted to be earning £30k-£50k. He has not achieved that and only does casual house removals! ( Currently in Oz ) His cousin who also went to Oz with him has come back though and I wonder if my friend may not return here. He is lucky as his wife is a nurse who gets well paid there. Maybe he just wants to stay further away from his MIL who needs two chairs to sit on.

look im really sorry guys sometimes my emotions take over....i can take constructive critisism....i know i have posted a few silly responses but i dnt know how to delete them ...i really needed this job..in a sense i was relying on it but oh well....i appreciate all the help and advice u guys have give good or bad....i just felt as if i was having the pi55 taken out of me hence the reason i responded like a 10 year old....

once again guys i deeply apologise for my silly comment....i am not an arrogant or difficult person to deal with sometimes the posts actually sound like there not meant...

if we could all forgive and forget and genuinely help me out as to where i go from here id really be thankful....

as im out of employment and finding it difficult to make ends meet hence the reason for loosing my cool abit...

im genuinely a really nice person believe it or not..

Have you tried other source of employment, rather than BG? There are agencies offering work - a lot don't like them, and the money is not brilliant, but you need experience (I assume). Most big firms demand a minimum time spent on the tools, so you need to find a way to demonstrate that experience. It is much easier to get a job when employed than not. You could try working for BG as a contractor - speak to Orion, but you still need to display competence. The other problem is gear - do you have a van & tools?

OK, if you can just spend 5 mins reviewing the interview just analyse the non technical questions and think about your answers were, and whether you thought that was what you wanted to hear. It doesn't mention where you are in the UK, but have tried joining an agency to at least make ends meet temporarily. Its coming to the end of the summer so BG and some of the larger nationals will be looking to employ subbies for the winter. Try a google search for employment agencies, some posters on here may be able to help you with names etc.
I know how hard it is for an ex forces guy to try and find their way in an environment that is alien to them. My son in law is ex-forces, joined at 18 did 12 years. He really struggled as know one would take him on. I employed him for 2 years as a labourer as he wanted to be a spark, so he could gain experience in customer facing roles, house construction etc. He is now a fully qualified spark foreman for a local electrical firm.
Remember - forget about all the hype about this trade, it is not for everyone.

If you were applying as direct labour with BG then your already more qualified than some that have replied as their minimum entry was NVQ3 (not sure if this is still the case). So head up, some of those answering your posts don't have that.

Don't knock all BG engineers, there's good and bad just like there's good and bad soliders(not all mistreat PoW's for example)

I don't know your location but if you have NVQ and ACS then national grid are always recruiting, a lot of companies will take you on based on your previous employment and qualifications, Bg are odd in most respects.

Join the COmbustion chamber you'll realise there's a whole lot to the gas game!

hey guys thanks for the posts....

just a little background on my plumbing/gas....i started in 2011....completed a NVQ 1&2 in plumbing and heating i didnt do the nvq3....i was then sent onto a fastrack gas acs course by my employer who was a sole trader....it was a chap i knew who worked for himself....i had to pay for my acs myself which i cant remember how much it was....but ive been gas qualified for about 2 years now...im not technically the best but i go by the book and have a good idea of what im doing (well at least i like to think i do) i appreciate alot of u guys a really good engineers who maybe have perfected your trade and its hats off to you guys....the guy i worked with used me as more of a labourer than anything else but he would not show me much technical elements....hence the reason i left and applied for BG...im forvevr grateful that he did help me but i cannot work for £50-£60 a day forever as i hope u guys understand that having young families and responsibilities...i have my own van and tools and i have looked into a lot of agencies but the opening seems to just not be there....i do the odd boiler jobs here n there but the volume of work is just not there to be honest i dnt really want to go self employed because there are still elements like 2port 3port systems i do not understand and i dont want to take work on that i can not finish.....

Register for the Combustion chamber part of the forum... There's lots of professionals that don't even venture into this section. There you can get more help than you will in this section.

Not least access to the library hosted by yours truly.

recently applied for a tech gas engineer role made it through to the compentency based interview which i tought went really well....

anyway the guy rang and said i have not been successfull due to giving short answers on questions asked about adpapting to change?, a difficult customer? ect.....which i thought was unfair on me as i had answered them very professionaly and accurately...

my tech knowledge i know is to a high standard because i have been on site with many BG engineers who basically dnt have a clue when it comes to basic ACS stuff...

im not bitter at all but i just want to know if it would be worth applying again in 6months time or not???

the recruitment guy did say my application was of a high standard and they would defintly look forward to hearing from me in 6months time but is it worth applying again??
A very interesting thread....

When it comes to plumbing I’m just a keen amateur so please bear in mind that many of my points below are generic in nature and therefore may not be particulary relevant to your industry;....however, you may find some of them useful.

Just for the record, I’ve worked all my life in electronics/computer/IT Comms service industries.

Many moons ago I was in a similar situation to you in as much as I’d never had an interview for years (in fact I’d only ever had one interview in my life) but I was desperate to change job/industries.

However, after many MANY! interviews I was getting absolutely nowhere. It was quite depressing actually.

The jobs required a similar skill-set but were in a completely and utterly different industry from what I’d been used to. Not dissimilar to your situation.

The mistake I made was my belief that a ‘professional’ and serious attitude was required to be successful at interview; however, it transpired that my attempts to appear totally and completely professional actually manifested itself in my being seen as a little aloof and stand-offish; i.e. a bit of a cold-fish.

However, after a fair bit of research and feedback I completely changed my interview demeanour and although I presented myself in a professional manner, I did it with a smile on my face and took an altogether more open, relaxed and ‘jaunty’ attitude.

My next 3 interviews were a total success and I received job offers from all of them....2 offers on the same day!

You must always try, (if possible) to obtain feedback from the interviewer/s as to where you came up short.

Interviewers will usually be honest (sometimes brutally!) with their assessment.

If the feedback is scathing don’t take it personally. You must remain objective about it. They will more than likely tell you the good points as well.

Often, and I know this for a fact, an interviewees own assessment of the ‘highs and lows’ can be completely at odds with the interviewers assessment;.....I learned that from bitter personal experience.

It’s essential that you learn from the process and go back stronger.

Your interview disappointment will keep repeating itself if you fail to ‘improve and adapt’

I’ve interviewed hundreds of people over the years (mainly men, very few women) for technical, customer facing and office based roles. Interviews are a manufactured and very artificial scenario and for most people unlike anything they will encounter in the workplace. However, it’s a procedure that you must go through if you want the job.

A few one-liners!...

I don’t think anyone failed an interview for being ‘smartly dressed’.

It’s an old cliché but still holds true “you don’t get a second-chance to make a good first impression”.

The most important thing you can wear when entering the interview room is a ‘Smile’.

P.S. as I mentioned earlier these ‘generic’ points may not be relevant to your industry but I hope you find some of them helpful;........I wish you well;... and good luck in the future, my friend.

hey guys thanks for the posts....

st i dnt really want to go self employed because there are still elements like 2port 3port systems i do not understand and i dont want to take work on that i can not finish.....

Specifically in regard to wiring - you are not alone. if you join the Honewywell Installers Club FIRST, you get a free place on their training course, rather than paying about £90. They do them in locations allover.
Don't mention it here though, as some guys hate Honewyell :sneaky:, and they will take the ****. Why struggle with understanding wiring when you can learn just by investing a day and a bit of deisel. You probably even get a free lunch. And they say there is no such thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back