Buying some petrol

Petrol stations will not allow you to fill plastic containers unless they comply with the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982, they tend to shut the pump off if you try to fill non-compliant containers.
What a load of hassle. I'll try syphon from car tank. Failing that, I'll give up. My original question wasn't as silly as some thought. Good to find someone with some experience.

Bloody cheapskate. Just buy a cheap compliant container from the garage. Petrol will melt quite a lot of plastics because plastics are derived from oil as is petrol, and you will not know what plastic will melt and what wont. FFS!
I don't know if it will be any good as a cleaner. So, not worth spending money on a gamble. I don't want to add more stuff if I don't have to - out of room.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Make sure what plastic bottle you intend to use.....polystyrene or polyethylene products are a big no.
Fred B is spot on.
John

Sponsored Links
Why won't you use white spirit, which is sold in convenient containers, and does not suffer the huge tax?

Make sure what plastic bottle you intend to use.....polystyrene or polyethylene products are a big no.
Fred B is spot on.
John
What are the poly-cola bottles made of? I store all kind of things in those.

Why won't you use white spirit, which is sold in convenient containers, and does not suffer the huge tax?
I would if it works. I have seen petrol-like-stuff working. Hence I think it needs more testing.

White spirit works, and does not smell as bad.

Minimum purchase of petrol is 2 litres at most stations and have to be in a certified container.
If you drive a petrol car then you would be advised to have a petrol container in your boot, (not necessarily filled), in case you run out one day. If you had one, you could fill/part fill next time you go for fuel and your problem is solved.

(Flipping auto correct kept trying to change petrol to patrol! )

Minimum purchase of petrol is 2 litres
AIUI the thing I think you're thinking of (a note on the pump that says "min delivery 2 litres") is related to accuracy of the dispensed amount rather than some kind of legal minimum purchase. You can dispense less.

@DiyNutJob do you know anyone who has a lawn mower or other small petrol machine ? Or a motorcycle? (they're easier to siphon out of than a car; cars more likely to have a device that defeats siphoning attempts)

I wouldn't expect petrol to have significant effect on silicone, given that the last lot of fuel hose I bought was made of the stuff..

You can get dedicated silicone remover products eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/88987

I understand petrol is a useful cleaner. If I want to buy a small quantity of it, are there any rules for the container I can use? For example, can I use the transparent plastic container that white sprits are sold in? What about glass jars food sauces are sold in?

He said he wanted it for cleaning. What's this about silicone? Is the silicone dirty?

Minimum purchase won't matter. I can fill a container before filling the car. I won't know syphoning is possible until I try. Searches suggest it's possible. Cleaning silicone residual is a form of cleaning. I have seen lighter fluid dissolving some silicone but not all. I am curious of the effect of petrol. If petrol works, it's cheaper than special cleaners. Unlike special cleaners, petrol doesn't go bad because I can always buy/syphon a small amount. I believe petrol is also good for degreasing and cleaning mechanicals parts.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back