Buying some petrol

Sponsored Links
Ok, cola bottles won't work. I think the clear white spirit bottles are made of the same. I got some metal brake fluid bottles. If I paint it red or green, I might get away with it.

I've stored petrol in cola bottles literally hundreds of times and, for long periods. And, I used to re-use them too.

If you fill your car first then go to the jam jar or whatever afterwards they're unlikely to stop the pump, they usually just look at you intially before enabling the pump, and if they see a normal situation, ie a car being filled there will be no trouble?

I also like to use petrol for cleaning stuff, and keep it in glass jars with metal lids just fine. I just use what's been drained out of the mower though after the season or leftovers in jerry cans rather than nice fresh stuff. Also kills weeds really well, but with the risk of conflagration!

Sponsored Links
Well, the self service ASDA pumps are enabled by credit card. I haven't looked to know if or where the cameras are.

Not old enough to have tried petrol. Info comes from youtube. Rather, the memory of youtube, which may not be accurate. But no harm experimenting. Things can be proven pretty much in an instance. I believe what my eyes see. In particular, I am interested in easy remove of burnt on carbon that is present in many things.
Not entirely clear whether it's silicone or burnt-on carbon that you want to remove, but for the latter, EGR (or carb) cleaner seems to work very well. as far as I can tell, it's a mixture of acetone, toluene and naphtha. However, you're likely to have to pay money for it.

Not entirely clear whether it's silicone or burnt-on carbon that you want to remove, but for the latter, EGR (or carb) cleaner seems to work very well. as far as I can tell, it's a mixture of acetone, toluene and naphtha. However, you're likely to have to pay money for it.
Wanted to try petrol on rtv/silicone. If it works, that's a useful chemical to have. Cheaper carb remover is also good to have. It was said cola works. I can't remember if I used spray carb cleaner on exhaust tip. In the end vinegar steam worked.

...and totally coincidentally:

Some older mopeds and scooters have very small fuel tanks, and I suppose somebody topping up might buy quite a small amount.

1681373411144.png

3.3 litres on the early ones

I did read on another forum that the minimum 2lts is for the correct amount of turns of the meter to get a true calibration.

If you want a very small amount of petrol for test and do not wish to pay for it, you can visit every petrol pump handle on the forecourt and pick them up, invert them into a suitable container that will catch the few millilitres of petrol that ends up resting in the nozzle after a fuel delivery and then move onto the next.

I reckon you might get low tens of millilitres this way

Didn't say I want it free. Just don't want to over spend on things with an unknown chance of success. A jam jar full is fine. Without realising it, I am probably a hoarder and unable to throw things away, and like things in bulk. So storage space is an issue even for an approved jerry can of some sort.

Sponsored Links
Back