Buying some petrol

Sponsored Links
Petrol is a wonderful cleaner, esp for cleaning paint brushes (if you have been using oil based paints obviously) better than any paint brush cleaner or white spirit and much cheaper.
That's good info I could use. I got some rock hard oil brushes I have to rescue. In return for the tip, I found cilit bang having some interesting effects on dried on water primer and paint on brushes. I haven't tried in on oil brushes yet. My experience of white spirit is that it's more or less useless for anything but non-cured paint.

Can you image the petrol assistant seeing someone fill a jam jar with petrol, his point of call would be 999.
My local ASDA petrol station is self service. If I scout out all the cameras, I might be able to put myself between the camera and the jam jar.

Have you tried scraping the RTV from your engine?
That is one solution. I am just preparing some backup solutions just in case. I haven't opened the engine up yet. By the look of things, I might need a new engine cover. So, removing RTV may not be necessary.

Sponsored Links
Can I just ask why you are so opposed to having a red fuel can with a bit of petrol in it? Is it the £6 cost? Or because a fuel can take up sooooooooooooo much room?

Can I just ask why you are so opposed to having a red fuel can with a bit of petrol in it? Is it the £6 cost? Or because a fuel can take up sooooooooooooo much room?
I have some red enamel paint. What if I paint the 2 litre white spirit bottle? That will make it look the business.

The petrol I need is for a gamble. It might work, it might not work. I am fully aware of the flammability down side. So, it isn't something I must have. It's an interesting material, nevertheless. I really just need a jam jar of it.

As for containers, I regularly fill a plastic container at the filling station for the lawn mower and chain saw, only once in te last 30 years was I refused on the grounds it was not a specific fuel container.
That's why I posted will/should only allow .. :rolleyes:

That's good info I could use. I got some rock hard oil brushes I have to rescue. In return for the tip, I found cilit bang having some interesting effects on dried on water primer and paint on brushes. I haven't tried in on oil brushes yet. My experience of white spirit is that it's more or less useless for anything but non-cured paint.
I don't think it will work if the paint has dried solid! I was meaning for cleaning wet oil paint brushes. It is fantastic for cleaning them, so much better than white spirit.

And then you can just pour the residue into the lawn mower, it doesnt seem to do it any harm, disappointingly though, you don't get a puff of smoke the colour of what you were using though.

I don't think it will work if the paint has dried solid! I was meaning for cleaning wet oil paint brushes. It is fantastic for cleaning them, so much better than white spirit.

And then you can just pour the residue into the lawn mower, it doesnt seem to do it any harm, disappointingly though, you don't get a puff of smoke the colour of what you were using though.
Ahh, I was too hopeful then. Cleaning wet brush with white spirit is usually OK. For rock hard brushes, Cellulose Thinner or acetone is supposed to work. In-town gardens are small. People just use electric mowers

Paraffin is best for brush cleaning. The paint falls out, it is not thinned out. Agitate well. Rub off on rag or newspaper the next day, clean off the paraffin with WUL.

******. I threw out a bunch of new portable mini camping stoves not long ago. Those were probably powered by paraffin or something close. Brush cleaning is always of great interest to me.

I once bought a pint of Universal Solvent.

But by the time I got home the bottle had dissolved.

Sponsored Links
Back