Buying some petrol

Not old enough to have tried petrol. Info comes from youtube. Rather, the memory of youtube, which may not be accurate. But no harm experimenting. Things can be proven pretty much in an instance. I believe what my eyes see. In particular, I am interested in easy remove of burnt on carbon that is present in many things.

Sponsored Links
I am interested in easy remove of burnt on carbon that is present in many things.
Coca Cola is what you need for that. A good soak, preferably overnight. Dont buy the real thing - supermarket own brand will be good enough for carbon (and even rust) removal.

Yes, I like cola as well as its bottle. This is a potentially good solution. I have a quicker solution of boiling stuff in white vinegar. But, it messes up the colour of brass. Vinegar steam works on chrome exhaust tips.

I have an immediate need of removing some RTV and thinking of petrol. I am sure a glass jar is OK even if not approved.

Sponsored Links
Pulling teeth.

1680958460500.png

Yes, I like cola as well as its bottle. This is a potentially good solution. I have a quicker solution of boiling stuff in white vinegar. But, it messes up the colour of brass. Vinegar steam works on chrome exhaust tips.

I have an immediate need of removing some RTV and thinking of petrol. I am sure a glass jar is OK even if not approved.
seems like you have already made your mind up. Another Darwin award candidate. just don't endanger anyone else.

As said, filling stations will/should only allow containers specifically designed for fuel to be filled at the pumps.
I believe the minimum delivery is 2 litres.

Personally I wouldn't use such a volatile product for cleaning when there are other alternatives on the market .. which is my polite way of suggesting you seek psychiatric help :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't use such a volatile product for cleaning when there are other alternatives on the market
I did buy the alternative. So, they sold me a bottle of lighter fluid labeled as silicone remover. That got me thinking.

^ good price without the delivery. Lighter fluid doesn't quite have the umph, hence the clever idea of something more volatile.

hence the clever idea of something more volatile.
I'm afraid 'volatile' means a liquid that is easily evaporated.
You may do better with a liquid/gel that wouldn't evaporate so quickly (or covering the treated area), giving a chance for the solvents to work - hence why proprietary silicone remover may have advantages.

Have you tried scraping the RTV from your engine?

Petrol is a wonderful cleaner, esp for cleaning paint brushes (if you have been using oil based paints obviously) better than any paint brush cleaner or white spirit and much cheaper. And as been mentioned up thread, a great degreaser. But super amounts of care are needed with it, on top of the obvious fire/explosive risk the benzene's that are added to it are very poisonous and cancerous, it is not something you want on your skin. (or in your mouth if siphoning, something that has happened to me many times when I was younger)

As for containers, I regularly fill a plastic container at the filling station for the lawn mower and chain saw, only once in te last 30 years was I refused on the grounds it was not a specific fuel container.

This thread must be a wind up.

Can you image the petrol assistant seeing someone fill a jam jar with petrol, his point of call would be 999. As he doesn't know if that is going to be used to cause damage.

Andy

Can you image the petrol assistant seeing someone fill a jam jar with petrol
Round our way it's when they fill up 10 empty bottles of nukey brown and then put a bundle of rags and a lighter on the counter while fishing in their pockets for some cash that you need to worry!

Sponsored Links
Back