Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was not sure what title to give this thread. I look after some things in a chuch which is closed at present. Another local church was broken into last night and a lot of damage done, there was nothing to steal but there was a lot of damage.
Someone suggested that we should get an alarm installed and I have two questions.
Are alarm installers working at the moment, I'd give them keys and leave them alone in the building.
What sort of certificate do insurance companies usually require? If we are paying out a lump of cash to get an alarm I'd like to see it help with slightly reduced insurance premiums.
Odd questions but these are odd times.
John

Sponsored Links
You’ll just have to ring round to see which ones are doing it. From memory, the types of alarms that insurance companies approve are ones where you do not buy or own the equipment. You pay an installation fee and agree to a yearly maintenance contract. It has to be installed, monitored and maintained by members of certain trade bodies. I think NACOS and SSAIB are two of them but check to see which ones your insurance will approve.

Last edited:
Check your insurance policy. See what it says about INTRUDER alarms.
Some polices may require an alarm system to be certified. SSAIB and NSI are companies which will certificate a system on completion.
Telephone a few companies, to receive a quotation the company will require to do a site survey and a risk assessment to determine what grade of system would be required for the premies.
Due to the lock down this may be an issue.
Fitting your own system may not be accepted by your insurance company ,so ask questions first before you waste your money.

Most alarm companies are doing emergencies only, but if the building is empty they should be able to get the equipment for the install as many distributors are open and manufacturers are producing to some degree.

Sponsored Links
We have had an offer from a local person who installs alarms to put in a wireless system using parts he had in stock as long as we pay for a new battery. This is a great offer and will get us through this situation.

Wouldn’t touch a wireless system if it was free and I’d be surprised if your insurance company would accept it. Then again, your insurance company might not require one anyway.

Wouldn’t touch a wireless system if it was free and I’d be surprised if your insurance company would accept it. Then again, your insurance company might not require one anyway.
I don't think it will make any difference to insurance but will stop some people worrying in this present situation. I'd rather have a hard wired system but if it stops the worriers so be it.

Even with a police monitored alarm, you wouldn't get much reduction if anything on the policy to be fair.

what facilities does the church have landline/ internet etc?

could you install an alarm yourself if you had the right bits and it was programmed for you????

Even with a police monitored alarm, you wouldn't get much reduction if anything on the policy to be fair.

what facilities does the church have landline/ internet etc?

could you install an alarm yourself if you had the right bits and it was programmed for you????
We have landline and internet so I could but I would prefer a professionally installed system linked to a monitoring office. You can see we have had a very good offer that will help us through this present time. If the people who are breaking into churches stayed at home it would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back