Child protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given recent events which seem to stretch back at least a few decades, at what stage and what age difference can one definitively state inappropriate sexual activity to have taken place?[/u]

Sponsored Links
Your post is confusing and rather ambiguous.

Can you be more specific and make some sense? There are many news stories relating to child abuse i.e the whole Saville affair and fall out, Haringey council, Gary Glitter, Rotheram council etc, etc.

Child abuse is rife and will continue to thrive as long as they have a network and because many child abusers are supposedly trusted people in a position of power.

People in a position of 'trust' should not abuse their position no matter what the age difference i.e. doctors, teachers, police, lawyers, etc. However exploiting vulnerable young people by coercing them with gifts, alcohol, drugs etc, is considered a crime if they are under 18 yrs.

inappropriate sexual activity
has always taken place.

AFAIK, although not being there to witness it records show that there has been inappropriate sexual activity back through our lifetimes, Victorian times, back to the times of the Bible & Koran being written.

Apart fom the very obvious peadophile incidents, I think that "inappropriate" is personal value, culture, and time driven.
For instance, what could be termed inappropriate or even illegal in US would be legally acceptable here, and there are many, many more examples of conflicting definitions.

Similarly, the age of consent changes over time.

So, either we have hard and fast rules for legal and inappropriate (they're not the same, are they?) behaviour, or we rely on our own values, which will never work.
For instance, I've always considered an employee/employer or superior/subordinate relationship inappropriate but it's not legally defined.
I recognise there are grey areas, such as romantic relationship precedes work relationship, which must be accepted, so long as nepotism is not at play.

Worthy of an Edit, me thinks, before the banal banter begins.
No, I've never had any brickies, scaffolders, etc, etc on my teams! :eek:

Worthy of another edit, me thinks.
No, the lack of brickies, scaffolders, etc, etc on my teams has not influenced my view about superior/subordinate relationships! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Another angle to Dex's comment is of course, at what stage. I assume he has Pres. Clinton's "I did not have sexual relationships...." in mind.

In other words, is it appropriate to have friendly words of advice, etc?
Could they be mis-construed?
Are brief kisses (I nearly said french kisses then, with the normal behaviour around here), especially with children appropriate?
In other words the term inappropriate may be correct now, but was it decades ago, or even decades into the future?

Is it too open to interpretation, and by some in authority who have too much interest, influence?

A couple can marry here in the UK at age 16 (with parental consent) Let's say this hypothetical couple of now married 16yr olds go on honeymoon to New York (exciting isn't it !!) They could both be charged with having sex under age, or inappropriate sexual relations in New York (age of consent is 17) Although the fact that they are married would be their defence ;) ;)

Age of consent is a good starting point. Before that and it must definitely be inappropriate and of course illegal . I believe some lenience is given when both parties are below 16 but I may be wrong . As to differences in age that's a bit more different. The widest age difference I've had in a sexual relationship was nearly 15 years (18 year old female and 32 year old male) but was that inappropriate ? Both parties were consentual and not forced into anything and friends and family were happy with the arrangement . That was only one relationship but maybe where someone had several partners with such an age gap then maybe that could be more inappropriate ?

inappropriate
adjective
not suitable or proper in the circumstances.

Therefore all decisions will be purely arbitrary; dependent on the prevailing mood and culture.

It cannot be argued logically.

Shameful stuff. I dare say reindeer and his cronies will soon shift into "apologist" mode.

Shameful stuff. I dare say reindeer and his cronies will soon shift into "apologist" mode.

Not apologist mode, denial mode.

Their problem is that the truth sounds like hate because they can't handle/accept/believe the truth. :mrgreen:

Your post is confusing and rather ambiguous.

Can you be more specific and make some sense? There are many news stories relating to child abuse i.e the whole Saville affair and fall out, Haringey council, Gary Glitter, Rotheram council etc, etc.

Child abuse is rife and will continue to thrive as long as they have a network and because many child abusers are supposedly trusted people in a position of power.

People in a position of 'trust' should not abuse their position no matter what the age difference i.e. doctors, teachers, police, lawyers, etc. However exploiting vulnerable young people by coercing them with gifts, alcohol, drugs etc, is considered a crime if they are under 18 yrs.
I Apologise for my opening post which demonstrates the danger of writing whilst tired and tipsy :oops:

The point I was querying was a combination of two aspects, namely the statute of limitation coupled with the arbitrary legal age of consent. Thus, for example, in days of yesteryear sex with a 14 year old girl would not have led to the male being referred to as a paedophile. Also, the severity of our current view of saville presumably would not have been so severe during the 70's.

Yeah shocking stuff. What is it?

However we have plenty of home grown child rapists of our own to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back