Choc Block connection been tiled over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A while ago I did the following:-

Moved my downstairs bathroom light switch to the outside as it was inside the bathroom. I installed a new back box on the opposite side to the internal switch. I pulled the wires through to the new box on the opposite side. I extended the wires using a 30amp choc block and pulled them through to the rear of the new back box. I fitted a blanking plate over the old switch back box and that is where the joined cables are hidden.

Howver we are currently have our bathroom re-fitted and my builder has tiled over the old swtich back box and my choc block connection is no longer available for inspection. Can I leave as is or do i need to do something about this?

Thanks,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
It's up to you :LOL:

Un-accessible connections need to be made by crimp or solder type joints, not screw connections.

Aswell as this, unless the wall is less than 100mm thick, the cable buried in the wall is no longer in a permissible zone (which was formed by the blank plate).

Get the builder to put things right now at his expense. If you leave it and there is a loose connection at some future date, getting at the CB and repairing the damage will be at your expense.

Sponsored Links
You know it does not comply so no point in referring to that. But in real terms load around 60W and chock block inside box in wall the chances of it going wrong are very low. Vibration can cause screws to become loose and in a steel frame batching plant making concrete this does happen. But in a house I would think very rare. If it was my house I would not worry.

Do remember the rules are made to cover all not just domestic.

So it is up to you and the builder has made a mistake and being pedantic he should make it good but I would consider that as going OTT.

If it goes wrong then cure has already been suggested so maybe find price to correct and ask for some money to be knocked off bill!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back