Classic F.M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been listening to Classic F.M since it began 30 years ago and every now and then a piece of music will rattle around my mind that i didn't know til it played on the radio...so bearing that in mind, anytime y'all feel like listening to something instrumental before rock n' roll was born, feel free to play it here.:)

Sponsored Links
The refrain has been running on a loop for a few weeks now and i can't get it out of my head.

I was put to sleep as a baby with whatever Classic FM's equivalent was in 1990/91, and as a child I grew to appreciate classical music. Today I have a love of many styles of classical music. Sometimes I discover a new piece of music which stays in my mind on loop! The most recent discovery is "The Beyondness of Things" by John Barry. Obviously a new piece but it has the power to take my imagination to a different world on one of those rare relaxing evenings.

I also put my son to sleep with the radio playing Classic FM in the background.

I was put to sleep as a baby with whatever Classic FM's equivalent was in 1990/91, and as a child I grew to appreciate classical music. Today I have a love of many styles of classical music. Sometimes I discover a new piece of music which stays in my mind on loop! The most recent discovery is "The Beyondness of Things" by John Barry. Obviously a new piece but it has the power to take my imagination to a different world on one of those rare relaxing evenings.

I also put my son to sleep with the radio playing Classic FM in the background.
It's not all strings and serenades so be careful you're not trying to lullaby him to la-la-land with Wagner!
I like to wake up around the time the Dawn Chorus plays a random piece of music but those adverts throw a rock in the rhythm whenever they come on - that dratted vodaphone advert makes me want to throw things.
Radio 3 is too dry for my taste by comparison but their evening concert can be insightful. I think the first piece of classical music i was aware of came in the film '2001-a space odyssey'. The album is still on the shelf, somewhere.

Sponsored Links
It's not all strings and serenades so be careful you're not trying to lullaby him to la-la-land with Wagner!
I like to wake up around the time the Dawn Chorus plays a random piece of music but those adverts throw a rock in the rhythm whenever they come on - that dratted vodaphone advert makes me want to throw things.
Radio 3 is too dry for my taste by comparison but their evening concert can be insightful. I think the first piece of classical music i was aware of came in the film '2001-a space odyssey'. The album is still on the shelf, somewhere.

Could be worse, could be Bach! I'll have to check out their schedule though, as I presumed all the nighttime stuff was "mellow"!

There are some very annoying adverts out there which seem to be on the air for months, luckily not heard the Vodaphone one yet.

Oh wow I have the score from that film. Obviously of my parents era, but a spectacle in its own right and that's without even mentioning the film. I think the first song I'd heard which stuck with me is Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 in C (Opus 18, not the one used in that Eric Carmen song).

I only have room in my little brain for a small amount of classical music. At the moment, I'm listening to Beethoven piano stuff. It's much more exciting than people told me. The last twenty seconds of this piece (starting at 7 mins 8 sec), with a very sweaty man playing extremely fast, is phenomenal.

One that really struck me as a kid was ALW's Variations. My Mum got given a copy by a friend of hers in London when it first released.

Fascinated me. I used to play it over and over and I still listen to it regularly now.

I don't listen to classical music otherwise, but of course there have been many "pop" songs over the decades that have pinched bits of classical pieces.

The other record my Mum had (albeit not classical) that I played quite a bit was Second City Sound- A touch of velvet.

Great stuff!

I don't listen to classical music otherwise, but of course there have been many "pop" songs over the decades that have pinched bits of classical pieces.

It's amazing how many there are, and how few realise where the inspiration came from

The "Hooked of Classics" albums did a great medley of classics accompanied with a late '70s / early '80s disco beat. Many don't like it but I discovered it from a car boot sale and ended up buying all of them.

I think the first song I'd heard which stuck with me is Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 in C (Opus 18, not the one used in that Eric Carmen song).
That IS the "All by myself" one. It's C minor - The second movement of no. 2.
R was a bit of an ahole. He could stretch a 10th, so he put some in his stuff because others couldn't play it.
I only play music to drown more annoying noises. Silence please! Never understood why people like music.

Last edited:
That IS the "All by myself" one. It's C minor - The second movement of no. 2.
R could stretch a 10th, so he put some in his stuff because others couldn't play it.
I only play music to drown more annoying noises. Silence please!

I should have been more specific, sorry. Eric Carmen used adagio sostenuto (maybe part 2?) whereas my favourite is allegro scherzando (I think it was part 3). They're both from the second movement.

I started enjoying classical music in recent years - I often sit in my lounge late at night when everybody else is in bed and listen to classic fm or radio 3, in the near dark usually. Very relaxing.

I've now got spotify - I should explore that!

12 hour play list ...

The first time I ever tried to track down a piece of music from a film, was this scene from the Truman Show. Music starts properly at 1 min 40 sec. Still probably the most beautiful slow movement I've ever heard. It's super famous. It was harder to find these things pre-internet!

Last edited:
Anyone listen to binaural beats?
That gets me chilled

Sponsored Links
Back