Conservatory foundatios.

Sponsored Links
mass filling foundations is not unusual. so long as the builder has taken into account ground level deviations, potential services and can accommodate storm gulley depths, then mass filling is economical.

mass filling is only discouraged, where a number of services cross the trench, and wisdom suggests a shallow foundation with courses of masonry. this method affords the builder an opportunity to 'slot and lintel' around the services without actually trapping them in concrete. ;)

Yes i know all this but if it were me doing it and i was contracted to do all the work ie, digout, lay footings and brickwork, then i would have done the strip and come out with trench block then away with the bricks.

just my preference, I'm in no way suggesting what the guy has done is wrong, Just a lot of crete for such a small job.

You seen the price of concrete nowadays :eek:

Tri : i still cant see the pictures either ?

//network.diynot.com/Tristar/albums/

Sorry about the pix. When I preview this message, I am able to access the albums with the link above, but not if I use Internet Explorer, only In Mozilla Firefox. Must be due to the code it is uploaded with. I will try uploading them again in IE.

I wondered why he went for the full fill option, but he said it was to save time. Anyway he has now departed, and I am waiting to be advised who is next in what is, apparently, the hot seat.

Sponsored Links
I have now uploaded the pix again using Internet Explorer, but the link still says I have no albums. However, if, still in IE, I select Reply/Upload Pictures, as if by magic, my album and pictures appear!

Duh!

You seen the price of concrete nowadays :eek:
If he used about 6m3 of concrete, then at 450 wide and average 900 deep, that's about 15 lin metres. Thus reducing that to 225 deep, would mean that he would save around 4.5m3, at a cost of around £68/m3 plus VAT is £360 saved; in reality, that would be less as his cost/m3 for part load would then have been £85/m3 adding £30 incl VAT to the 1.5m3 of concrete that would have been used. Thus, net saving say £330, can't see you doing materials and labour up to the same level in blockwork for that price.

And, if you would, can you come and do some work on my barn for me? :LOL:

For interest, the concrete was delivered by a truck that mixes it on demand, carrying all the ingredients in separate hoppers. Brilliant idea, as you can get any mix of any amount, and only pay for exactly what you use. I was very impressed. The driver was MD of his own company, spotted the system in the States while on holday and was working for one of the big suppliers. He put it to them but they weren't interested, so he left and started on his own, and unsurprisingly, is expanding like mad, and doing very well.

Shy,

Who you use for your crete ? I wish i could get it for £68 ish per m3.

Last job i did we poured almost 60 m3 and the cheapest i could get that for was £85.00 per m3 That was only because of the qty needed.

Must be more expensive up in lancashire, all the wear and tear on the waggons because of the cobbled roads.

got a few of the barrow lads around here as well. saves a lot of back breaking having someone do it for you :)

Lafarge, full load Gen1 £68.38 per cube plus VAT; same rate plus £60 plus VAT for 4m3 part load; 3m3 small load £85 per cube plus VAT from another supplier.

This is Norfolk: we don't have roads, let alone cobbles :LOL:

For interest, the concrete was delivered by a truck that mixes it on demand, carrying all the ingredients in separate hoppers. Brilliant idea, as you can get any mix of any amount, and only pay for exactly what you use. I was very impressed.
Never heard of that, what's his rate/m3?

lol, I'm not suprised out there in the sticks. Are the windmills still crushing grain?

These trucks are really good for typical extensions or where you can be bothered wo work our how much you need.

The typically come with 5 (insert Eastern European country) guys who will barrow the stuff around the back no problem.

Not sure latest prices but they are cheaper than readimix - which you then have to barrow or pump.

lol, I'm not suprised out there in the sticks. Are the windmills still crushing grain?
They are (I'm actually working for a client who has a whole load of different types windmills on the Broads - very interesting). And we've still got push-button-A phone boxes. And steam engines, chimlies on the ruf, donimows down the pub. Not forgetting lots of carrots upon which to crunch, of course, unn uh roit strenj aaaacsunt to troi un unnerstan tu booht bor :LOL:

I was not involved in the price, but I understood it is cheaper than readimixed, probably because there is no waste, and a loaded truck can do several visits all with different mixes on the same run.

For interest, the concrete was delivered by a truck that mixes it on demand, carrying all the ingredients in separate hoppers. Brilliant idea, as you can get any mix of any amount, and only pay for exactly what you use. I was very impressed.

this is the lot that do it down our way, i think they are all over the country though. http://www.mixamate.co.uk/

very good for smaller jobs. a little bit more expensive per m3 than normal ready mix, but then they are only small loads and very convenient, with no waste. Ready mix is about £85 m3 down our way

Thanks Thermo, I see we have one in Norwich: seen them about, never realised that it was site mixed as required, just thought that they were like all the other little ones.

I will remember that for future reference...just goes to show, you learn something new every day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back