Consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new to this forum and would like some advice on a good quality brand name for a 15 way consumer unit. Currently have an MEK metal 12 way which is clearly substantial in construction. I want to update with rcd & mcb's + split. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Is that MEM or MK? :LOL:

Anyway, both are still in business, and both produce a wide range of consumer units in various sizes, metal and plastic and with many different RCD options.

MEM is considered the slightly better brand

Whoops fingure trouble - MEM - good spot. What about all the other brands, crabtree, wylex, volex, etc any preference? Thanks Adam, you must have been sat there waiting!

Whoops fingure trouble - MEM - good spot. What about all the other brands, crabtree, wylex, volex, etc any preference? Thanks Adam, you must have been sat there waiting!

crabtree and wylex are considered good, as are hager, but volex and marlbro, while owned by the same parent company as wylex are considered cheap and nasty, as are the likes of protek and unbranded chinese stuff, etc

MEM, and merlin gerin are very highly rated

Anyway, why not let your electrician supply what he likes to fit (though if he likes to fit rubbish, you might want to change electrician :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
for a few dollars more

you could have RCBOs instead of split-load

A superior solution, though the more circuits you have that need RCD protection, the more expensive it gets.

Be sure to have a bigger CU than you think you need. The extra cost of a bigger plastic box and some fresh air is insignificant, but the convenience and cost saving when you later decide to install a hot tub, electric shower, summerhouse, loft extension, range cooker, external floods, intruder and fire alarms etc. is substantial.

I might be going over old ground here....

But you like your rcbo's don't you???

bs7671 17th edition must be like christmas!!!!

:D

for a few dollars more

you could have RCBOs instead of split-load

I can't wait for the B&Q guide to fitting them!!!

Did you write a billion letters to the IEE for the 17th edition?

I don't mean to take the p*ss its just i read a few threads and saw you mention them loads.... i suspect its been mentioned before!!!!!

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back