DIY Electrical Installation Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a newbie here. I've had many years experience in electrical work, I'm a good practical safe installer, aware of what 17th regs say, can work out all the relevant theory (what, me a big head surely not!) BUT I now understand I cannot do this legally.

My question is, this is a DIY site but you can't DIY electrics? Is this right or have I missed something?

Thanks up front for comments and info.

Roger

Sponsored Links
If you are refering to part p of the building regs than you can still do "DIY electrics but they have to be T&I by local B.C..

Yes, you can still do your own DIY electrics as before. But now you are supposed to inform building control, (depending on what you are doing) who will come out and inspect it.
For a nice fee.
Although, it would seem that there is more than a reasonable chance that you know more about electrics than they do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies and helpfull link.

Being a cheapskate I borrow my mates regs. Looking at earlier posts people were saying 'you can do this' 'you can't do that' and it was'nt clear to me what was what!

In this instance its changing/updating a CU

Notifiable, and requires testing which is outside the norm for DIYing.

I agree it's notifiable but as far as i'm aware he doesn't have to test it. It's up to Building Control whether they want to test it or not before they sign it off.

If he feels competent enough to change the CU in accordance with the relevant regs and he pays the notification fee IMO he's done his bit.

...and ensures that the rating and condition of the installation, namely existing circuits, earthing and bonding are adequate. He would need to carry out inspection and testing to confirm this.
A Periodic Inspection Report would be a good way of complying with 131.8 before changing a consumer unit, especially if it's only for updating reasons.

Gary, as a DIY'er, where does it say in either within the SI or the approved document that he has to ensure that the rating and condition of the installation, namely existing circuits, earthing and bonding are adequate?

And as far as i'm aware if he notifies then once he's finished (or during a first fix inspection) BC decide if he's met their interpretation of 131.8.

Who's going to test and inspect the existing circuits? Wouldn't the LABC only be interested in an EIC which won't cover the existing circuits?

I've not been involved with any DIY notifications with LABC but would be concerned if a consumer unit can be changed without any inspection or testing on existing circuits. I would be very interested to hear from any DIY'er that has gone this route though and what the process was.

Like Gary I was thinking more of the BGI pre-upgrade checking of what's already there...

Yes, but there's nothing in the "DIY" area that says that this has to be done.

The OP could notify the LABC that he's going to chage the consumer unit and pay the fee. BCO may come and inspect and possibly (ha ha) test.

It's possible that they might pick up on a couple of things but the process would fall far short of what a registered spark would deliver doing the same thing.

Why didnt Fatscott bite the bullet and impose a CORGI-style regime for domestic electrics..?

...and ensures that the rating and condition of the installation, namely existing circuits, earthing and bonding are adequate. He would need to carry out inspection and testing to confirm this.
A Periodic Inspection Report would be a good way of complying with 131.8 before changing a consumer unit, especially if it's only for updating reasons.

Before and not after? What'd be the point of that? Plus to comply with the regs you'd need to test it all again afterwards anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back