DIY Electrical Installation Work

Before and not after? What'd be the point of that?
You'd find out the point when RCDs start tripping because of dodgy cables or borrowed neutrals, or you can't fit high enough rated MCBs because fault loop resistances are too high, or the replacement CU can't get an EIC because of existing earthing/bonding contraventions....

Sponsored Links
...and ensures that the rating and condition of the installation, namely existing circuits, earthing and bonding are adequate. He would need to carry out inspection and testing to confirm this.
A Periodic Inspection Report would be a good way of complying with 131.8 before changing a consumer unit, especially if it's only for updating reasons.

Before and not after? What'd be the point of that? Plus to comply with the regs you'd need to test it all again afterwards anyway...

A PIR should be carried out beforehand which in turn will cover the existing circuits. After the CU change then run around with an earth fault loop impedance meter and verify the readings.

What would you do?

Yes, I wondered what the point of inspecting & testing the installation before the work is. Afterwards sure.

Roger

Gary, as a DIY'er, where does it say in either within the SI or the approved document that he has to ensure that the rating and condition of the installation, namely existing circuits, earthing and bonding are adequate?

P1 of part p requires "P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury"

One recognised method of complying with the above is to work to BS7671.
If you don't work to BS7671 or another recognised standard you may have problems in showing how you complied with P1.

Sponsored Links
P1 of part p requires "P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury"

That does not include testing though.

It used to, before it was amended in 2006, so testing was excluded deliberatly.

BS7671 includes I&T ;)
No I&T = doesn't comply with BS7671 therefore you may have problems in showing how you have complied with P1.

By saying, when you notify, that you'll comply with P1 by complying with Parts 3, 4, 5 (& if applicable 7) of BS7671:2008?

You can try it, however I don't think you can pick and choose what parts of BS7671 you comply with - you need to comply with BS7671 as a whole to use it.
Think the approved document guidance refers you back to the fundamental principles chapter 13 of BS7671.

If I want to issue an EIC I can't pick and choose, except for minor documented departures.

But if I'm not issuing an EIC, and there's no obligation on me to comply with it, I can pick and choose what I like....

I don't believe you claim compliance with a recognised standard (bs7671) by doing so.

Why can't you claim that you complied with part of it if you have?

But if the word "compliance" is such a sticking point with you..

BS7671 includes I&T ;)
No I&T = doesn't comply with BS7671 therefore you may have problems in showing how you have complied with P1.
By saying, when you notify, that you'll comply with P1 by working in accordance with Parts 3, 4, 5 (& if applicable 7) of BS7671:2008?

the problem with CORGI style regime is that I don't think it prohibits you from doing DIY gas...!!

it only regulates those that are doing it for commercial gain from what I've been told..

though quite how you'd get on selling your house and having to admit DIY gas I've no idea,,

BS7671 includes I&T ;)

But because most DIY installers are not able to test & inspect, for notified works the responsibility to test and inspect is with building control. The procedure is detailed in section 1 under Certification of notifiable works, C - Where installers are not qualified to complete BS7671 Completion Certificates. And because BC don’t issue EIC’s (1.27) for notifiable works, only building compliance completion certificates, they may decide to inspect only.

Why can't you claim that you complied with part of it if you have?

But if the word "compliance" is such a sticking point with you..

BS7671 includes I&T ;)
By saying, when you notify, that you'll comply with P1 by working in accordance with Parts 3, 4, 5 (& if applicable 7) of BS7671:2008?

Working to parts 3, 4, 5 (& if applicable 7) will not show compliance with BS7671 as a whole, therefore as far as I am concerned, it will not comply with BS7671.
If you so wish to show you comply with P1 in some other way other than BS7671 then it is up to you & LABC to show how you comply with it.

Working to parts 3, 4, 5 (& if applicable 7) will not show compliance with BS7671 as a whole,
No, but then there is no requirement to comply with BS7671 in part, let alone whole, only to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

therefore as far as I am concerned, it will not comply with BS7671.
So what? I don't mean your concern, I mean it not complying. There is no requirement to comply with it, only to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

If you so wish to show you comply with P1 in some other way other than BS7671 then it is up to you & LABC to show how you comply with it.
So you don't think that working to parts 3, 4, 5 (& if applicable 7) of BS7671 means that you've made reasonable provision in the design and installation of your electrical installation in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation from fire or injury?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back